Found clearing land….. no clue where to start

Jpetre

• New Members

I found this clearing trees on our property in a coastal town in south Texas. It is rather heavy. At first we thought possible alligator egg as we have a lot of gators in this area…. we are also 3 miles from a river. Any help would be most appreciated. 

CBF5A2AD-3935-4E55-9D62-CFA525932C38.jpeg

8F8AC244-5B8E-497E-AEED-738E9096B2D8.jpeg

4FB2B9BA-1A97-4D7D-B27E-B5572AF558EB.jpeg

8E23702F-3BFC-46EB-884D-84C35B8EB37A.jpeg

6DDB79FE-9455-4810-914D-DE95D794661E.jpeg

406CA560-802E-4943-BACB-F85F3E359E4E.jpeg

I believe it's one of those manmade marble eggs, think I see printing on the side of it. :)

Hi,

Or a pebble well rolled by a river

Coco

• I Agree 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

12 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

Pretty sure I see raised printing on it.

The last photo may show this being part of a layer in the rock which was more resistant to abrasion. The crack would have to be resistant to impact if it were river tumbled to this shape though.

I'm not sure which seems more likely here. Human or nature.

38 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

Pretty sure I see raised printing on it.

I'm sorry to have to disagree with you, but if you look closely at this photo, you'll notice that the part you are referring to belongs to a mineral vein running through the stone.

406CA560-802E-4943-BACB-F85F3E359E4E.thumb.jpeg.6a12dd8c1c02b034fd5bb062ce6771b4.jpg.6e1a3d44f723f7c41d0ce83e7743087f.jpg

I'm convinced that this is, as Coco has already suggested, a naturally water-worn pebble which has a uniform shape. Nature provides us with many of these anomalies.

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

It is not a  egg.They does not have

the egg shell texture that you need.  The apparent lettering  is 

pareideilia; yeh i could see it and start to read it) and other raised rough areas are most likely mineral veins as Ludwigia suggested.

This is not an egg, but a stone. It does not have the texture, or the color of an egg. Here are some posts that should help (I know they are dinosaur egg guides, but they should still help): 

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21

The raised area does suggest lettering. In hand under a loupe, would be an advantage. If it is a manufactured piece, perhaps it is an artificial egg, utilized to stimulate laying hens. Is the locale a former farm or homesite?

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

• New Members

No one has ever lived in this area…. This is the 3rd oldest settlement in Texas , full of Native Americans at one time in the past 

8 minutes ago, Jpetre said:

No one has ever lived in this area…. This is the 3rd oldest settlement in Texas , full of Native Americans at one time in the past 

Jpetre . . . Do you not see the contradiction in your assertion above??

The likeliest identification of the find is a "nest" egg.  The egg may have been stolen by a chupacabra from a hen house miles away, then abandoned when the egg proved inedible.  Or, it might have been a young rock-hound who appropriated the marble egg.  However it ended up in your yard, it is a machine-made artifact, post Industrial Revolution in age.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

10 hours ago, Jpetre said:

What county?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

11 hours ago, Jpetre said:

Interesting…. “No one has ever lived here”, “full of native americans at one time in the past”

i leave this to be pondered.

(edit:  looks like harry noticed this as well)

Edited by jpc
  • I Agree 1