Cretaceous Marine fossils from Magoito Beach, Portugal

debivort

Thanks for any help putting species IDs on these marine fossils from Magoito Beach, Portugal. My best guesses are as follows:

1-12) Oysters, unsure of species
13-20) Clams, original material and steinkerns. 13, 16 and 19 are quite "tall", others rather flat.

21, 22) ?? Possibly a coral? Or crinoid fragments or a trace fossil?
23, 24) smaller oyster pieces
25) a mussel?
26-29) gastropods

30) shark tooth - possibly goblin shark? Sadly fragmented, but has distinctive pair of lobes at the root midline

31) ?? intriguing paddle-shaped structure with a distinctive mid-line
32-38) bonus calcite and gypsum crystals

Untitled.thumb.jpg.e42fb50016f46b754a2e777c67b95d3f.jpg

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Nice specimens!

Just one from me: specimen 21 could be trace fossil, maybe something along Chondrites.

d33aed5b-a133-4b89-9807-9fcfba3e3e6b.thumb.jpg.a2ef5954a421c70436f4760747f5861b.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

8 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Nice specimens!

Just one from me: specimen 21 could be trace fossil, maybe something along Chondrites.

Thanks for the welcome - I've been a reader for years.

I like Chondrites for both 21 and 22. Interesting that its organism is still unidentified. Thanks!

Is it OK to bump my own post if it's not getting many replies? Would love IDs on 30 and 31 particularly.

20 minutes ago, debivort said:

Is it OK to bump my own post if it's not getting many replies? Would love IDs on 30 and 31 particularly.

Welcome to TFF, it is one of the best places for fossil identification.  But it may be more difficult in this situation...

1) I hunt Florida and know a lot about Florida Fossils and seashells, but I have no experience in Portugal marine fossils.  We may/may not have many experts who actually hunt fossils on Portugal beaches. If they exist, they may check in only once  week or once a month.

2) Putting 30 fossils in a single photo is intimidating and makes it harder for anyone to help you.

3) This is my max magnification on your photo. I have old eyes and can hardly see #30.... I thought it was a tiny dolphin tooth...

TFFPhoto.JPG.8417aef7e60f6c3e1578017574364395.JPG

This dolphin tooth is 23 mm,

IMG_5967ceFlip.jpg.5a29d6646732d262f238aaac467ef990.jpg

So, it is valuable to bump your own thread.....

IF you are going to select a few you are most interested in identifying and , and add some photos that provide measurements and only show the fossil , not a lot of empty space around it.

Welcome to the forum, one of the best places to identify fossils, , if you can make it easier to identify.  Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Welcome

Also would suggest a separate topic for the few you really want answers for.   They get lost in the barrage of specimens.

Thanks Shellseeker and Troodon for the tips. I figured everyone could see the full resolution of the composite image? In any event, here are screen shots of 30 and 31 at their full resolution. I get that these shots may not be enough for an ID. I may try a dedicated post on each one once I get some additional images.

I'm not fully convinced 31 is a fossil....435997158_ScreenShot2022-06-19at12_28_54PM.thumb.png.e87d25eac5993a549339368de780a4b7.png1836605956_ScreenShot2022-06-19at12_29_02PM.thumb.png.5c62f39a20fed5a589366c4c94630d0f.png

@Vieira may be able to help.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

A ruler in centimeters or inches is always better than a coin. We are on an international forum. If you don’t have one, look in my signature.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

19 hours ago, Coco said:

A ruler in centimeters or inches is always better than a coin. We are on an international forum. If you don’t have one, look in my signature.

I did the best I could in my hotel room. I'm pretty sure a coin gives a general sense of size, but the tooth specimen is 9.8mm in length. 

Hi,

11 hours ago, debivort said:

but the tooth specimen is 9.8 mm in length. 

This is the best solution !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg