5 Mazon Creek for ID -- confirm or refute.

Mark Kmiecik

Calling on the usual members to either confirm or refute my attempt at ID on these five Mazon Creek specimens. Thanks in advance.  @bigred97 @connorp @deutscheben @fiddlehead @flipper559 @Nimravis @Plantguy @RCFossils @Runner64 @stats @TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory

1337536774_C0066Aviculopectenmazonensismaybe.thumb.JPG.173e1f44cb8051d80fe2b4e8d649373c.JPG 555937713_C0102Macroneuropterisscheuchzeribasalpinnule.thumb.JPG.0f91f7e3efa27466cfa8bf6c083d2586.JPG 

993829660_E0116Unidentified.thumb.JPG.2529b3a0f40ac69b8a73cbd33171986a.JPG 534425978_E0117Lepidostrobophyllumlanceolatus.thumb.JPG.84a0245495450801c7942fb088fa68bf.JPG 

560293912_E0118Cyclopterisorbicularismaybe.thumb.JPG.891a8f8223bf424cbc28e2e278457dc4.JPG

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
  • Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The pecten looks correct, but I cannot be sure without seeing the base.

The unknown is definitely an unknown- as you know, MC has so many and in “life”, they were probably pretty cool.

The others look correct, but will defer.

I know I did not help much- sorry.

• Thank You 1

Aviculopecten appears correct for the first one.  Cannot think of anything for the unknown.  Can't ID vegetation to species quite yet but the genus on all 3 of them appears correct to me.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

The pecten looks correct, but I cannot be sure without seeing the base.

The unknown is definitely an unknown- as you know, MC has so many and in “life”, they were probably pretty cool.

The others look correct, but will defer.

I know I did not help much- sorry.

Thanks for taking a look, Ralph. As always, your input is greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Runner64 said:

Aviculopecten appears correct for the first one.  Cannot think of anything for the unknown.  Can't ID vegetation to species quite yet but the genus on all 3 of them appears correct to me.

Thanks for your input; it will always be appreciated. I'm trying to get a consensus, so everyone who chimes in counts. Thank you.

Mark.

In my opinion based on what I can see from the picture "unidentified" conforms to: Best guess is a Lepidocystis, though I don't see any spores to confirm this. Second: Without being able to see the texture, and going only by the shape, it conforms to the shape of a shark pectoral girdle. These are made of cartilage, and after the teeth are the most robust part of the shark skeleton. To confirm this, it would have random small dots still remaining somewhere on the surface. If not, third guess is an arthropod piece. 

Jack

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

some of you may like: 

Revue de Paléobiologie, Genève (décembre 2005) 24 (2) : 505-514

Association of entire orbicular cyclopterids with Neuropteris ovata pinnate foliage from the Late Pennsylvanian (Stephanian) of West Virginia, USA :
taxonomical implications
Paul C. LYONS & Jean-Pierre LAVEINE

lyonscyclopterisrevdepal-24-2-01c.pdf

Edited by doushantuo
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, fiddlehead said:

In my opinion based on what I can see from the picture "unidentified" conforms to: Best guess is a Lepidocystis, though I don't see any spores to confirm this. Second: Without being able to see the texture, and going only by the shape, it conforms to the shape of a shark pectoral girdle. These are made of cartilage, and after the teeth are the most robust part of the shark skeleton. To confirm this, it would have random small dots still remaining somewhere on the surface. If not, third guess is an arthropod piece. 

Jack

Thank you, Jack. Based on the possibilities you've suggested, it's still a tossup among the three for me. I just can't tell, and if I commit to any of them, I'll probably be wrong. I wish I had the equipment to take a better photograph. There is some "texture" on the concave half that suggests sporangia, but then, again, it could be . . .   Oh, well, I guess I'll leave it labelled "unidentified".

Mark.

34 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

some of you may like: 

Revue de Paléobiologie, Genève (décembre 2005) 24 (2) : 505-514

Association of entire orbicular cyclopterids with Neuropteris ovata pinnate foliage from the Late Pennsylvanian (Stephanian) of West Virginia, USA :
taxonomical implications
Paul C. LYONS & Jean-Pierre LAVEINE

Thank you. I found it useful and interesting.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Another thing entirely is that Aviculopecten mazonensis might be Limipecten 

Edited by doushantuo

9 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Another thing entirely is that Aviculopecten mazonensis might be Limipecten 

As far as I know, it is not present in the Mazon Creek fauna. Species known to be present are Euchondria pellucida, Aviculopecten mazonensis, Dunbarella striata and Palaeolima retifera. The overall shape most closely resembles A. mazonensis.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik

Mark.

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that A. mazonensis belongs in the genus Limipecten?

Edited by Mark Kmiecik

Mark.

Nothing new to add here... looks like everyone has done a good job at confirming your ids.

Cheers,

Rich

• Thank You 1

18 hours ago, stats said:

Nothing new to add here... looks like everyone has done a good job at confirming your ids.

Cheers,

Rich

Thanks for taking a look, Rich. I appreciate your input.

Mark.