Another 5 Mazon Creek specimens for ID.

Mark Kmiecik

Calling on the usual members, again, to either confirm or refute my attempt at ID on these five Mazon Creek specimens. Thanks in advance.  @bigred97 @connorp @deutscheben @fiddlehead @flipper559 @Nimravis @Plantguy @RCFossils @Runner64 @stats @TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory

472474298_J0001Annulariaradiatamaybe.thumb.JPG.cbe0ab5bc92b4043154c1f2960d7bf64.JPG 237950918_J0002Mariopterissp.maybe.thumb.JPG.9eb67cc72bdf9190b7fe30078c3a305b.JPG 

1421303958_J0003Crenulopterisacadicapinnulemaybe.thumb.JPG.1379e00395316354c15341bfaeafe354.JPG 1851535763_J0004Mariopterissp.maybe.thumb.JPG.b1b49c6cc2f5ad443c618828773cf285.JPG 

1586421785_J0007Unidentified.thumb.JPG.09e37fcdb2efe4768b84a14abab0f92f.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Unsure on specific IDs for plants, bad at these.  As to your last unknown, I don't see any defining features.  I am thinking it is an Essexella.

3 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Unsure on specific IDs for plants, bad at these.  As to your last unknown, I don't see any defining features.  I am thinking it is an Essexella.

Thanks for chiming in. That last one is quite three-dimensional. That's a fairly deep hollow in the upper half.

Mark.

The plants look pretty good, although it's hard to see the first Mariopteris. I like them because the pinnules look more ornate than others.

Cheers,

Rich

Hey Mark, I was staring at Jack's new book a bit and now see there are 7 species of Annularia listed. I can see why you say radiata.  Man that guy you have is just a tad over 1 cm so I'm wondering if it might not be a mature leaf form and might actually be something more like inflata or latifolia.  seems to have only 12 or so leaves unfortunately but with a wide midvein. Do the leaves have mucro's--sharp points? He mentions them in the inflata description. 

387688406_Unknownannularia.jpg.c2a38f31318a1cb74d75222adbc8730a.jpg

I think I should probably defer to the other members on a species level ID for this one. Nice/interesting find!

The other specimens that lack the preservation/veination I'm uncertain on as well. 

Regards, Chris 

15 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Hey Mark, I was staring at Jack's new book a bit and now see there are 7 species of Annularia listed. I can see why you say radiata.  Man that guy you have is just a tad over 1 cm so I'm wondering if it might not be a mature leaf form and might actually be something more like inflata or latifolia.  seems to have only 12 or so leaves unfortunately but with a wide midvein. Do the leaves have mucro's--sharp points? He mentions them in the inflata description. 

387688406_Unknownannularia.jpg.c2a38f31318a1cb74d75222adbc8730a.jpg

I think I should probably defer to the other members on a species level ID for this one. Nice/interesting find!

The other specimens that lack the preservation/veination I'm uncertain on as well. 

Regards, Chris 

None of the leaf tips are clearly visible and I also was undecided among three species of Annularia, therefore the question mark as well as the question marks on the other plants also. All of these specimens are from 1 to 2 centimeters, including the unknown which has at least 1/2 centimeter in thickness as well. I was hoping you or one of the other MC collectors would say "Oh yeah, that's definitely a . . . .", but I guess that's not about to happen. 

Thanks for taking a look.

Mark.