Whale bulla still attached to jaw bone

Reebs

This is such an incredible find Marie!

Who’s soul do I need to sell or how many people do I need to sacrifice to find something like this myself?

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

52 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

Who’s soul do I need to sell or how many people do I need to sacrifice to find something like this myself

:)

Keep enjoying nature, being outdoors, good friendship and camaraderie, some fossil finds. And the find may pop up - or may not. Its all about the route, not the goal.

Have fun!
Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, Meganeura said:

This is such an incredible find Marie!

Who’s soul do I need to sell or how many people do I need to sacrifice to find something like this myself?

Hahaha! Thank you. My best finds (so far) seem to happen when I least expect them.  Hoping your mind blowing find is just around the corner. If you live near and frequent the peace river you are certainly in a great spot for it. :) 

Cheers,

Marie 

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Just now, Reebs said:

Hahaha! Thank you. My best finds (so far) seem to happen when I least expect them.  Hoping your mind blowing find is just around the corner. If you live near and frequent the peace river you are certainly in a great spot for it. :) 

Cheers,

Marie 

Dunno if I'd say near but close enough that I've made it a habit of going every weekend at least once! Really just need to expand where I look. And get a snarge roof rack and kayak, but for that I need space for a kayak which I do not currently have. So to the creeks it is for the summer!

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

Fantastic finds! Diagnostic baleen whale material is not super common in Florida - at least, not from land sites like this where we know the stratigraphic origin. I highly encourage you to contact the FLMNH. The periotic is of interest as well. Both are balaenopterid whales, and while I'm not sure about the identification of your skull - the isolated periotic appears to represent "Balaenoptera" borealina. The skull will almost certainly have a periotic in place if the bulla is present.

• I found this Informative 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2022 at 10:21 AM, Boesse said:

Fantastic finds! Diagnostic baleen whale material is not super common in Florida - at least, not from land sites like this where we know the stratigraphic origin. I highly encourage you to contact the FLMNH. The periotic is of interest as well. Both are balaenopterid whales, and while I'm not sure about the identification of your skull - the isolated periotic appears to represent "Balaenoptera" borealina. The skull will almost certainly have a periotic in place if the bulla is present.

Wow! Fascinating. Thank you for the informative response. I will get in touch with the museum.

• 1 year later...