Mosasaur tooth ID Tylosaur?

Mochaccino

Hello,

I came across this morocco mosasaur tooth measuring 5.5 cm and wanted to ask whether it seems like Tylosaur? From what I can tell, it has no durophagous adaptations (so not prognathodon), seems to be straight instead of curved towards the tongue/mouth and lacks facets (so not Mosasaurus), and is very tall with a hook-like appearance due to a curvature straight backwards. It looks too tall to be something like Eremiasaurus, but that's just an amateur guess. If not Tylosaur, what could it be?

image.thumb.png.9ba307e48910b546de285f3c3cc2ad0d.png

image.thumb.png.618f41a83c2230bcea55a8a5465e6017.png

image.thumb.png.cbf92888eb8ad20f64c2f584b472e1da.png

image.thumb.png.622f0f21df52c58e7e1b9e86345da229.png

image.thumb.png.db5f3c7ec46fb16d83fe6e680723fa03.png

image.thumb.png.3bfd2fa271d9ece8a876db89c624a411.png

image.thumb.png.36e469d3af8e67e36558571210f14193.png

Edited by Mochaccino

Without a doubt Moroccan tylosaur! It clearly exhibits the hallmark characteristics of such teeth, which includes purely distal curvature restricted to the top third of the tooth, as well as tertiary striae around the base of the crown. A very nice specimen! :default_clap2:

@Praefectus

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

18 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Without a doubt Moroccan tylosaur! It clearly exhibits the hallmark characteristics of such teeth, which includes purely distal curvature restricted to the top third of the tooth, as well as tertiary striae around the base of the crown. A very nice specimen! :default_clap2:

@Praefectus

Thank you! I had tried to find one a while back based on the knowledge I got from you guys, but didn't have much success and had given up since. But when I randomly came across this one today I thought it looked peculiar, who would've thought?

EDIT: By the way, it turns out the seller describes the tooth as "Prognathodon". I didn't even pay a ton of attention to the provided ID as I know these are often misidentified, and I suppose here you have it.

Edited by Mochaccino

You can count yourself extra lucky then, as, in my experience, nice ones like this aren't easy to find ;)

But, yeah, most dealers don't know half of the teeth they're selling. Which can be lucky for you if you do :P

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

26 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

You can count yourself extra lucky then, as, in my experience, nice ones like this aren't easy to find ;)

But, yeah, most dealers don't know half of the teeth they're selling. Which can be lucky for you if you do :P

I see, looks like I'm indeed a lucky soul today. Thank you for providing your expertise now and back then; without it I wouldn't have given this tooth a second thought.

Edited by Mochaccino