Any idea what is this fossil?

Chamsy

• New Members

Good morning,

Can you help me to identify this fossil please? It was found in Iceland. In the Snaefellsnes region (west), next to the Eldborg crater. Thank you 

D4A40A2E-3DE9-45A0-924E-9FFB90F22D9F.jpeg

826EE8EF-240E-42D5-ADD2-B1A116B5FF04.jpeg

It looks like a volcanic rock with some of the ropey surface (or splatters) of once liquid lava. Notice all the vesicles in the volcanic rock.

• I Agree 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Hi Chamsy and welcome to the forum!

The rock looks clearly ignous to me, which fits Iceland.

So the most probable explanation is a string of previously viscous lava that fell into that form.

On the other hand it looks much like an anserine birds head and neck, and though fossils in igneous rocks are much rarer than in sediment, I wonder if it could be some pompeji-like duck of unknown age?

Who knows more?

Best regards,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
spelling

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

I see what you see, but sadly I think it is just folded volcanic rock. I would display it happily as it can't be denied it does look like a rare longnecked duck!

• New Members

Thank you for your answers. This is a volcanic rock, absolutely. The size is small, I will try to post a new picture with a cm rule next to it. When I look carefully to it, it seems to have also some parts at the botom, like two fins - but there are not so clear… again thank you for your answers.