Help with identification

mcruxton

• New Members

Hi all. Can anyone identify what this crystallization in this Owen Sound flagstone might be or once was? I found this piece at a garden centre when I was buying some flagstones. It was labelled as Owen Sound/Wiarton (Ontario, Canada) flagstone. The large area is about 4 inches wide. Appreciate the help. Cheers. Mark

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

These are typical of the Eramosa material that occurs in the quarries around Wiarton. The initial conditions contained a lot of calcareous algae and stromatoporoidal material responsible for abundant calcite, with the subsequent dolomitization resulting in diagenetic replacement accounting for these calcitic blobs. At other times, they can appear as concentric cherty nodules that one quarry owner called "ashtrays" as they can be effectively "bowled." What is very interesting is these layers of flagstone also represent more swampy, closed-off lagoon conditions. Some amazing fossils have been found in this material, but they are largely sparse apart from some brachiopod and coral layers. 

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• New Members

Thanks very much for the detailed description. Much appreciated.