Charleston, SC Beach Fossil Find ID

ano33

Good morning fossil friends! Found this unknown fossil on Morris Island, SC yesterday.  Morris Island is an uninhabited island near Charleston and was used by the port authority to dump dredge spoils from the Charleston Harbor for many years.  During big tides or storms, the impoundment walls erode and deposit fossils, shells, etc. on the beach.  I'd love your help in ID'ing this fossil.  Thank you!!

IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_3511.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

It’s definitely bone of some kind - my personal take is a scute from something. Perhaps sea turtle?

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

1 minute ago, Meganeura said:

It’s definitely bone of some kind - my personal take is a scute from something. Perhaps sea turtle?

That's what I was thinking as well but I haven't been able to find anything online with this particular pattern.  Thank you for your reply!

• Enjoyed 1

Just now, ano33 said:

That's what I was thinking as well but I haven't been able to find anything online with this particular pattern.  Thank you for your reply!

I’ve never seen turtle with that pattern either - but based on the shape and size, that’s my guess! It wouldn’t make sense to be a bone IMO!

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg: