Moroccan Trilobite ID

connorology

• New Members

Good Morning,

I was hoping some more knowledgeable trilobite enthusiasts could help point me in the right direction here - I received this trilobite (see attached photos) as a gift from family members who traveled to Morocco back in 2017. I have very little information about it - it appears to have been found in a concretion, it is reportedly ~500 MYO, and it was purchased from a vendor by the side of the road in the Atlas Mountains (unfortunately specific locality was not requested or provided at time of purchase). 

I imagine it is one of the more common species, I was hoping for an ID and any other information folks may have. 

Thank you,

-Connor

IMG_9300.jpg

IMG_9303.jpg

Good eye... I initially thought I saw smoothness. Too many hours glaze-eyed at the microscope.

I change my identification to Flexicalymene ouzregui :D 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• New Members

Is this something a clearer or differently positioned photo could clear up or is Flexicalymene ouzregui the clear ID? Here's a DSLR shot of the portion of the negative you were discussing. 

trilobite - 1.jpeg

Edited by connorology
info

The difference between the two is in the presence or absence of ribbing on the pygidium. 

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Yes, and this one has the 'ribs' so is Flexicalymene ouzregui. If the sides of the 'tail' had been smooth, it would have indicated Colpocoryphe. 

I missed them at first as well, but your new picture shows them very clearly. 

Nice specimen. :trilowalk: 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• New Members
7 minutes ago, Kane said:

The difference between the two is in the presence or absence of ribbing on the pygidium. 

Got it, so Flexicalymene - Can that be conclusively ID'd as F. ouzregui to the species level or could it be another speciesMy understanding is this genus is also Ordovician, yes?

Comparison of Colpocoryphe grandis and Flexicalymene ouzregui. Note the differerent pygdiums (tails).

3a61b028-4d48-11e5-8bfc-77cb1a78a77b.jpg

C. grandis

1920px-Flexicalymene-ouzregui-rolled.jpg

Albeit an enrolled F. ouzregui, but it displays the ribbing on the pygdium well.

Yours is definitively Flexicalymene ouzregui (Destombes, 1966), from the Upper Ktaoua Formation in Central/South Maïder Region, Morocco.
Age is: Upper Ordovician - Lower Ashgillian

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.