Is the rock or bone

DJ Moore

• New Members

Are these Dino bones or just strange rocks?

how can I verify or get them documented.

8DBADB93-8850-4CC3-B030-4B1A0599720A.jpeg

96198EB6-10BA-4172-9EB5-BEF23C5FD491.jpeg

7893EF0D-7479-4D80-B5BC-789D2FF1AC8A.jpeg

7A730BFD-0EE4-4681-9462-A3188091799D.jpeg

212C10A7-D8F1-4452-805E-639440569B27.jpeg

290E5FDC-99F4-4D4E-A5D3-0454CA481D43.jpeg

351AF979-AA46-41BE-90D0-A300A2752399.jpeg

5E5855FB-E6E3-42A2-AE52-4A3E456378CF.jpeg

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

The second one looks like concrete or mortar, there are also some air bubbles - man made stuff.

The first one is more tricky, I am hesitating guessing anything!

Would you like to give some background information? Where do these items come from?

Franz Bernhard

• New Members

I’m located in central Indiana USA. 
I’ve lived in this location nearly 30 years at the edge of a corn/bean field.

I’ve found collected various rocks over the years. But when I came across the one that looks like a tooth, I thought it was a strange shape. Closer I looked, it was very much lighter than any rock similar in size.

I washed it a bit and found a small fissure in the side. It seems there is a cavity inside this rock/tooth (it might be kinda hollow).

this was probably a no no in the fossil world, but I took a grinding wheel to it and it particulates/grinds off differently than any rock.

also sticky to the tongue, not smooth.

Im not sure that’s a real thing. I read that is a way to distinguish rock from bone fossil.

howdy and welcome to the forum. your first 3 pictures appear to be bone but most likely a large mammal astragalus. my amateur impression is that it is a recent cow foot bone and not a dinosaur. perhaps one of the forum's experts can be more definitive. @Harry Pristis

Yes, the first one is a bovid astralagus as Harry has shown above.  It is bone, but may be relatively modern.  It is definitely not dinosaur as you said is was found in Indiana and there are no dinosaurs to be found in central Indiana ( the surficial deposits are much too young - Ice Age, and the bedrock is all Paleozoic, too old for dinosaurs).  The second one does not look like a fossil to me, could just be some sort of weathered rock, but I also wouldn't rule out a chunk of cement as someone else suggested based on these pictures.  

2 hours ago, DJ Moore said:

5FBFE7AE-C6F1-4635-B9F5-1EB53B0837E6.jpeg

And this one shows clear signs of being cut with a circular saw with the appropriate stone cutting blade.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

Butchery :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• New Members
9 hours ago, digit said:

And this one shows clear signs of being cut with a circular saw with the appropriate stone cutting blade.

Cheers.

-Ken

Yes I touched it to the grinder to test it. 
It basically dusted it. 
it’s also hollow. 
I think I’m going to cut it longitudinal with a fine cutting wheel.

I will post the cross section results