If I were to go to folsom lake to look for sedimentary, where specifically would i look?

LexonTheDragon

I noticed that folsom lake ranges in age from jurassic , to even neoproterozoic-jurassic and that got me thinking of going there to fossil hunt since I literally live 10 minutes from there. Anywhere I should look for sediments at the lake/surrounding the lake? 

With the understanding that collecting stuff is not allowed in

state parks, general information about the geology of this

area can found in:

1. Geotechnical Consultants, Inc., 2003, Environmental

conditions:Geology: Folsom Lake State Recreation Area

Geologic map of Folsum Lake, Figure G1 of above report.

(Note, I found the above PDFs using Google Search.)

2. Bartow, J A; Helley, E J., 1979, Preliminary geologic map

of Cenozoic deposits of the Folsom area, California; USGS 

Open-File Report - U. S. Geological Survey, Report:

OF 79-550, 1 plate, 1979. Scale: 1:62,500.

3. Olmsted, F.H., 1971. Pre-Cenozoic geology of the south

half of the Auburn 15-minute quadrangle, California.

USGS Bulletin 1341.

4. National Geologic Map Database map viewer

5. Loyd, Ralph C., 1984, Mineral land classification of the

Folsom 15' Quadrangle, Sacramento, El Dorado, Placer,

and Amador counties, California; Open File Report –

California Division of Mines and Geology No. 84-50 SAC,

44 pp., 1984. Scale: 1:48,000.

It looks like the local bedrock is mainly metasedimentary,

metavolcanic, and plutonic igneous rocks. It does not

sound too promising.

Yours, 

Paul H.

Edited by Oxytropidoceras
added additional comments
  • I found this Informative 2

• 3 months later...
On 7/9/2022 at 5:17 PM, LexonTheDragon said:

I noticed that folsom lake ranges in age from jurassic ,

No fossil type rocks near Folsom, it is mostly granite with some schist.

• I found this Informative 1

12 hours ago, ynot said:

No fossil type rocks near Folsom, it is mostly granite with some schist.

Any recommendations for where to go in or near placer county?

Fossils are very rare in this area. The only fossil location in the area I have heard of is under a housing development in Roseville.

8 hours ago, ynot said:

Fossils are very rare in this area. The only fossil location in the area I have heard of is under a housing development in Roseville.

Can I get some coords or something for that area? I wanna check this out for myself

1 hour ago, LexonTheDragon said:

Can I get some coords or something for that area? I wanna check this out for myself

Sounds like the site no longer exists, being UNDER a housing development.  :unsure:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Sounds like the site no longer exists, being UNDER a housing development.  :unsure:

I was told of the site  years after it was built over and never tried to look for it.

I think it still exists, it is just buried under a bunch of houses and lawns.:default_rofl:

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

oh my bad :DOH:

23 hours ago, Oxytropidoceras said:

50 Million Year Old Find in Granite Bay

Roseville Today, January 15, 2016

Yours,

Paul H.

Had forgot about this one.

The one I was told of is Jurassic and full of "lady slipper" shells and a mosasaur was supposedly found there. I think in the 60's or 70's. . It was about 10 miles from the petrified log site.

• 4 weeks later...

The fossil wood of the Ione formation around Roseville can be beautiful! But, the only way to find any is hope for new trenching work. Most of it is absolutely under housing and other buildings. All of it under private or city or county property that is not open to digging. I lucked out 20 years ago to come across a new development that was doing major trenching work. And the site foreman let me check out the piles. Most of the pieces came after they dug 8-10 feet or deeper. I currently have a few hundred pounds of wood. Biggest is a section of log that is about 90 pounds. My biggest heart break was finding 2 logs exposed for a new pool. If they hadn't already had the wire form in for the pool and cement 9n the way I would have offered to pay to make the pool bigger! On one I could see about 10 inches across the top and 18 feet long!

So, keep an eye out for new trenching projects and maybe you'll get lucky. (Centered around E. Roseville Parkway and Hazel Ave was the area I found)