Can anyone tell me what this is

Kirsten 79

Hi,

HEIC files aren't valid on TFF. You must modify them into JPG files.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.  :)

I converted your image to .jpg format, for you.

This is a rock. Not any kind of fossil, unfortunately.  :(

• I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

There could be small poorly preserved fossils, or trace fossils, in it that give the texture a suggestion of bone.

Looks like a weathered piece of sandstone or limestone from first appearances. These types of rocks are sedimentary rocks which is good as that is the type of rock that can contain fossils. Your item pictured above is indeed interestingly shaped (rocks are often eroded into fantastically wonderful shapes) but an interesting shape is not enough to make it a fossil.

You might find this online map to be useful to determine the age of the surface rocks near where you found this item:

https://gis.dogami.oregon.gov/maps/geologicmap/

Looking at the tags in your post I can see you were hoping this was a baby dinosaur (I hope baby "dragon" was a bit of a joke). Animals do not fossilize in full 3D life form with flesh and skin on them other than insects trapped in amber and the unusual exception of late Pleistocene animals like mammoths frozen in the (until recently) permafrost up north.

Any shapes you see in your rock that are suggesting to you the shape of a dinosaur are the result of the interesting phenomenon called pareidolia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Exactly what digit said above.

That said, if you are of the artistic variety, I can see how this might be painted to resemble a dragon (or a dino, or a number of different creatures) if you choose to do so.  Might make an interesting garden piece if done.

• I Agree 1

*Frank*

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Kirsten 79 said:

I'll have to update my photo

Additional photos can be added in a Reply. 

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Additional photos may help us see what this is. They won't however change what it is not.

If you are still believing that some suggestive shapes indicate that this is a completely fossilized baby dinosaur then you'll have to come to realize that this is not the way dinosaurs (or other animals) fossilize. Generally, only the bones fossilize (the skin and flesh are soft tissue and do not preserve). It is also a bit of a rarity for an animal to be preserved fully articulated. As for "baby dragons" they are fictional and therefore stand even less of a chance of being preserved as fossils. Dragons are only found in books, artwork, video games, legends, and expensively produced television series by HBO. ;)

We enjoy discussing fossils here on the forum and have a lot of experience identifying fossils from just images but so far we see no signs of any fossils in your image. No additional images will convince anyone here that your item is a baby dinosaur nor a baby dragon (we are a science-based forum). We'd enjoy seeing any additional rocks you think might contain fossils but this one is simply just a sedimentary rock with a possibly suggestive shape.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1