Where To Find Fossils?

Brandon

• New Members

Im new to fossil digging and have really only found sharks teeth so far. I have about 50 sharks teeth that i have found at beaches in florida and i wanted to know if anyone can tell me where i can look?

First off, i live on long island new york. I figure that 10 million years ago, long island was part of the atlantic ocean. Why do i never find sharks teeth at the beaches on long island, but i find them in florida? Are there any places not far from new york city like streams or creeks where i can find fossils? what should i look for in a creek or stream to find fossils? does there have to be certain elements or something present for fossils to exist in a creek?

as far as i know...the only place to find fossils on l.i. are some occasional leaf/flower impressions found in the cretaceous clays on the north shore-lloyd neck areas. if you want shark teeth, drive an hour or two south of you, and hunt for them in big brook/ monmouth county nj. there are lots to be found there. google it.

You've got terrific resources in NY City -- join a fossil club and talk to some of the members. They also have collecting trips where you can learn how and where to collect.

One of my best shark teeth came from Ocean City, NJ on a public beach -- but that's pretty rare, especially in such great condition.

as far as i know...the only place to find fossils on l.i. are some occasional leaf/flower impressions found in the cretaceous clays on the north shore-lloyd neck areas. if you want shark teeth, drive an hour or two south of you, and hunt for them in big brook/ monmouth county nj. there are lots to be found there. google it.

Big Brook is an excellent place to go. Shark teeth, plus a nice array of other fossils to be found...belemnites, shells, corals, fish teeth, vertebrae, and of course there's the more rare stuff out there, too. You never really know what you're going to find. Do keep in mind that Big Brook has some regulations. Check out this page for more information on what you can find:

http://www.njfossils.net/cover.html

and

http://www.fossilsofnj.com

Edited by Anthony in NJ

• New Members

Where exactly is big brook? i can never find it on google earth. anyone have directions from NYC? Can i find Sharks teeth on Long island beaches(south shore)?????

Brandon

Welcome to the Forum. Try googling "Boundary Rd, Monmouth, New Jersey"

Try adding words like "fossils", or "shark teeth" to your google searches.

As to your second question, I believe it is NOT likely to find shark teeth on the south shore of Long Island. mellow.gif

And again, ... Welcome to the Forum. smile.gif

Feel free to PM me for more guidance. biggrin.gif

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• New Members

where is the brook in reference to the park? i cant see it on google earth, i just see a big wooded park.

Brandon,

You cannot "see" Big Brook on google maps, or google earth. It's not like the St. Lawrence River. biggrin.gif

Big Brook is long, ...not wide. What you can see, on those programs, ... are the roads that intersect it - Boundary Rd. and Hillsdale Rd.

Here is a link to some directions for you:

http://people.hofstr.../big_brook.html

I suggest that you click on the links provided here, and in Anthony's post, ... and spend some time reading about the site, from the websites that have been provided for you. They contain really good information about the Brook, what you can find, and how to find it.

Also, you should work on your Google skills. Many things can be found, just by looking correctly. For example, ... I typed in "big brook nj directions", and came up with the link I've posted for you. In fact, it was the first link that popped up!

We can teach you some things here, IF you are willing to learn, and willing to do some of the work yourself. smile.gif

There is a ton of information available to you,... if you are willing to "dig" for it. cool.gif

You cannot just dig in the fields of the park, or in the banks of the brooks. This is for your safety.

Generally, one has to look on the ground, on the sandbars and shore of the brook, and\or sift through the sand and gravel of the Brook's Bottom, to find shark teeth.smile.gif Wading in the brook is expected, and sometimes fun.

Remember to READ the websites for more information.

Let me know if you need more help.

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me