WillEvans6097

• New Members

Hello fellow fossil fans!

I've recently purchased this tooth online and I'm struggling to determine whether it is actually an Ankylosaurus tooth (as advertised) or whether it is a Nodosaur tooth instead.

The description is as follows:

"0.5" ANKYLOSAURUS FOSSIL TOOTH LANCE CREEK FM CRETACEOUS DINOSAUR WY COA & DISPLAY

Location: Lance Creek Formation, Wyoming (Private Land Origin)

Weight: 0.2 Ounces

Dimensions: 0.5 Inches Long 0.4 Inches Wide, 0.2 Inches Thick"

I would really appreciate anyones help to figure this out!

FB_IMG_1658937033207.jpg

FB_IMG_1658937030923.jpg

FB_IMG_1658937028585.jpg

FB_IMG_1658937025961.jpg

FB_IMG_1658937023632.jpg

FB_IMG_1658937021040.jpg

It's definitely not an Ankylosaurus tooth but an Indeterminate Nodosaurid.  The Formation identified is also not correct it's the Lance Formation, not Lance Creek.  Did the seller provide you with a locality where it was found, WY is just not sufficient.  You should have that as part of the provenance.  

Here is a guide I put together to help in identification

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

• New Members

Thank you for such a swift reply @Troodon. That is a shame. Unfortunately the seller hasn't provided any more details, maybe there will be more when it arrives.

I had consulted your detailed guide but I was still uncertain.

Do you have any recommendations for where I could source Ankylosaurus Magniventris teeth which could be shipped to the UK? I've been looking online and can't seem to find any.

Many thanks, 

Will

Yes, Nodosaurid.

Nodosaurid teeth are typically much larger than Ankylosaurinae type teeth and for whatever unknown reason are much more common.   Unfortunately Anky teeth typically sell quickly and for that reason they are hard to find.  Keep searching the web.  If I see one will PM you.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, WillEvans6097 said:

Do you have any recommendations for where I could source Ankylosaurus Magniventris teeth which could be shipped to the UK? I've been looking online and can't seem to find any.

Welcome, Will.  

Please note that we do not permit public discussions on where to purchase fossils.  Polite inquiries via PM are your best option.  ;)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ