Fossil Clean Hard Nj Brown Marl

Taxman56

I have a nice 3 plus inch long lobster in marl from the Ramminison Creek. I think it would look good to clean off some of the marl but its on there pretty hard. Either theres no shell material under where I want to go so it won't break off or its really cemented it on good. I don't want to destroy the critter. Any ideas.

post-2447-12706990479867_thumb.jpg

you could take a dremel sanding disc to the marl, very lightly, but i would just leave it john. it's got plenty of detail. it might actually be a whole ghost shrimp.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, I agree with Phil. It's a good looking piece as is. Maybe use a buffing tool to clean some of the loose stuff from around the shell. Not often you see a tail segment.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the info. I didn't want to go near it with power tools thats for sure. I tried a small pick but nothing was coming off easy.

I'll leave it alone and post more pictures on the trip forum.

So Phil you think its more ghost shrimp than lobster? I don't think there's much I found on the web but one lobster tail specimen I saw once. I was guessing lobster since there are usually preserved pieces found. Since most of the tail is intact I would think that would help in identifying it. I think there is a claw piece under the marl too but not enough showing to guess how big or intact it is.

Sounds like I need a trip to Trenton some time.

Taxman,

It’s most definitely Hoploparia gabbi, also known as a clawed lobster and is very often mistaken for the ghost shrimp. I’ve had the same problem with several NJ specimens, if you cannot easily remove the matrix with a dental pick after soaking in water for a few minutes then leave it as is. It’s a nice find and looks pretty good to me au natural.

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

Nice fossil. I would also be tempted to remove some of the marl. Looks like a job for a microjack and an air abrasive.