I Just Couldnt Pass It Up For Fifty Bucks With Shipping

micropterus101

I dont know how these things are supposed to look unprepared. I snatched it up before asking any questions. I know price is a very good indicator of fakes and if so this is the fakest but I couldnt resist taking a chance anyways. What do you know about keichousaurus?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320515055982&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I dont know how these things are supposed to look unprepared. I snatched it up before asking any questions. I know price is a very good indicator of fakes and if so this is the fakest but I couldnt resist taking a chance anyways. What do you know about keichousaurus?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320515055982&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Micropterus101,

What's the first rule of Fossil Forum?...Don't buy keichousaurs on Ebay! You must be feeling lucky after getting that great Aturia piece back. I hope it works out for you.

and its from china too....not even a reputable seller in the US....commoonnnnnnnnnn man..... :(

for 50 bucks i would have rather had someone send me a box of unprepared mason creek nodules. a crab is a crab - maybe not a marine reptile fully articulated....but is a real fossil.....not a fake :/

There was another one sold recently on e-bay through a British Auction house... started low enough to get my attention, but quickly ballooned way past my capabilities. I think that one was real.

Tim

LOL! I think I saw that same fossil for sale at a show last year. Maybe the positioning was just the same.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I think you may have gotton a great deal. Looks quite real to me. I don't own one but saw a lot at Tuscon a few years back. I think unprepped is the way to go. The fakery comes with the prep work.

crinus

To be honest, I don't trust the look of it. Check the fingers closely, there should be joints-a lot of fakes draw in those. Also the verts should be distinct; many fakes again have painted in lines.

Here's a couple real ones for comparrison. One is a baby, but note that even at it's size the joints are discernable.

post-1313-12713373310746_thumb.jpg

Baby...

post-1313-12713376783292_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

If it is real you got a deal if not you still got a nice display piece

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Sorry Microp,, thats about as fake as they come. I did the same thing with a fish about 15 years ago. I lost 70 bucks on that fako deal. If you dont belive me, take a nail or needle, heat it red hot and touch a part of that outline on that 'rock' and you will smell the smell of burning plastic. Sorry man.

RB

Is it too late to weasel out of it? When it arrives, you could demand a refund. However, getting a refund from China will be a problem, as you'll have to return it (and that's not allowed in the Chinese post) and the postage back will be the bulk of the cost.

I seriously doubt that anyone with a real one would let them go for under $1000. There's hundreds or thousands of fakes floating around now.

Thanks fer thr info. I will have my hot pins ready when it arrives. The price is ridicules but maybe this guy who is in china found a crapload in his basement and doesnt care how much he gets for them. I know i know I am dreaming but I can wish anyways. I will post a followup when it comes. Of course if its real I will buy 20 more before I post my followup LOL :P

Yeap that's definitely not a fossil.

I couldn't tell you what material this is made from exactly, but I've seen them before, and they're definitely not made of plastic, so using a hot needle would be pointless.

It's not that just the "Fossil" is faked, it's the entire plate made from some composite, I have never seen anything close to an authentic Keichousaurus in such large grain and crumbly matrix. As far as I recall, the actual fossils are found in deposits of volcanic ash, and so the grain of the rock is very fine and the rock is quite hard, nothing like the brittle material you see on the picture in the auction.

See it as a combination of getting yourself a nice piece of decoration that you wouldn't be able to get at your local garden centre in combination with South East Asian development aid, and suddenly it doesn't seem too bad after all. :D

cheers,

Mark

Edited by FrozenInTime

i have several real ones and i hate to say it but that one is not. you can find them sometimes for around $200 real. if you want a nice large one i have one i would let go for $250. it is on a dark matrix so the contrast isnt great but i cleaned up the prep and it is 100% real, no resto. pm if anyone wants to see pics.

Brock

Yeap that's definitely not a fossil.

I couldn't tell you what material this is made from exactly, but I've seen them before, and they're definitely not made of plastic, so using a hot needle would be pointless.

It's not that just the "Fossil" is faked, it's the entire plate made from some composite, I have never seen anything close to an authentic Keichousaurus in such large grain and crumbly matrix. As far as I recall, the actual fossils are found in deposits of volcanic ash, and so the grain of the rock is very fine and the rock is quite hard, nothing like the brittle material you see on the picture in the auction.

See it as a combination of getting yourself a nice piece of decoration that you wouldn't be able to get at your local garden centre in combination with South East Asian development aid, and suddenly it doesn't seem too bad after all. :D

cheers,

Mark

You are elwrongo Mark. That outline of that so called fossil is usually made up of some kind of polymere, a plastic, put onto a slab of rock. Ive seen all those fako butterflies and frogs and dragon flys all with the same kind of outline and all made with plastic. Ive done the hot needle and smelt the plastic before. Maybe theyve smarten up and are now using some kind of cement product? Its been a very long time since ive been banschmooozald.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320512459393

For half the price, you could have had this...

....very...."artistic".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You paid a bit much, but I really like some of the Chinese fakes. They are decently done and make great decoration.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

They should be honest and say they are fakes or copies.... then they could get away with making more elaborate focal pieces for the less decerning collector.... Like a kech chasing a shoal of trilobites.......

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Dude-

Save yourself the heartache, have some fun and find your fossils where they lay. It just isn't the same showing off something bought, compared to something you've actually found. Anybody can buy a fossil- but it takes a keen eye and lots of patience to find one to brag about. But then again, that's just my opinion. As for the fake- it would make a nice keystone for a fireplace header!

Dude-

Save yourself the heartache, have some fun and find your fossils where they lay. It just isn't the same showing off something bought, compared to something you've actually found. Anybody can buy a fossil- but it takes a keen eye and lots of patience to find one to brag about. But then again, that's just my opinion. As for the fake- it would make a nice keystone for a fireplace header!

Don't underestimate the difficulties of tracking down a bargain fossil. It takes patience, persistence, knowledge of the different venues and dealers to get the best fossil. I'm certainly not comparing it to field collecting - it's a whole different ball game - but, as someone who happily buys fossils I couldn't otherwise collect, I find a thrill in the hunt.

Dude-

I agree there is much more satifaction in finding my own fossils, but a trip to China is way out of my budget. Heres a link with pictures of the fossils I do collect myself below.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/micropterus101/

That outline of that so called fossil is usually made up of some kind of polymere

Oh that's quite interesting, the ones I've seen appeared to be made out of a mold, with some cement-like material indeed, whereafter they had apparently painted the molded relief which was in the form of a fossil to make the contrast with the "matrix" clearer.

In any case, the Chinese deserve credit for their resourcefulness and creativity! :P

cheers,

Mark