Strange Finds from the Austin Ozan. A Test for the Ozan Experts.

Mikrogeophagus

If you have a microscope you might look for evidence of the stereom on the spine. This showed up at 250 X on some of mine.

IMG_20220630_230016.jpg.3a771365fa2a0409c332600e41bd0129.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

I will say that when looking at the spine with the correct angle of light, I can faintly see tiny ridging running longitudinally along it. Not sure if this is what you mean by stereom. Unfortunately, I don't have a microscope, but if I ever do I'll take a look!

8 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I agree with JohnJ, even fragmentary crustacean finds are good finds. Not all crustaceans can be crab concretion level of preservation.

I suspect you are correct in your assumption of the first pic being a partial carapace and the latter being a claw. I can look at what species have been reported in the Ozan later in some books I have but it is a good chance it will go unidentified. Nevertheless, a nice specimen.

Both Hoploparia and Linuparus sp. have been reported from the Ozan before. It's difficult for me to see which (if either) it would be but maybe someone with more decapod experience can pick out a diagnostic detail. Again, still a cool specimen.

22 hours ago, EPIKLULSXDDDDD said:

Unfortunately, I don't have a microscope, but if I ever do I'll take a look!

I would've never thought that the Ozan can produce such an interesting invertebrate haul - and you seem to have found these all in one horizon, is that correct? If so - it may be the most significant site you've discovered so far!

Also, I have a microscope - feel free to shoot me a message during winter break (when I'll be back in town for a while) if you're still keen to take a look

• Enjoyed 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Today, curiosity was killing me so I decided to check out the exposure again even though there hadn't been a big rain since my last visit. The creek was mulmy and the water level very low. I could see my footprints in the mud from my last visit along with various fossils I had decided to not take back. Of course, this meant that not much new stuff could be found, but I was determined to make the trip worthwhile. I spent most of the hours scouring the slippery bed on all fours, thinking about how ridiculous I looked in the back of my mind. I mostly just came across fish teeth and verts. I guess I did a pretty thorough job sweeping the place the first time. Eventually, I got to flipping over a few large slabs of shale. When I saw the red, dimpled surface of an echinoid, the weariness from hours of crawling disappeared. After taking it home, I got to cleaning it very quickly.

Midway through cleaning

IMG_1122.thumb.JPG.95152fea665dce5d7eac39ecc71eb92a.JPG

This is by far the most complete echinoid I've found at the spot so far. Everything else has only been random pieces and of course that one spine. Unfortunately, the little guy lost his top half to the elements. I think it's a heart urchin of some sort. Anything more specific than that I am not sure of. I tried finding Ozan echinoids online, but there really doesn't seem to be much. Are they just not that common in this formation? It kinda looks like Hemiaster from what I can see. I assume those were still around in the area that late into the Cretaceous. The star pattern is a bit off-center I think due to compression. There is an underside, but the whole thing is very smushed. I don't think I'll try to clean the underside because the whole thing is very fragile.

More cleaning and some b72

IMG_1123.thumb.JPG.390a7ecbccf4f2472fee8fc8ac6c0360.JPG

IMG_1124.thumb.JPG.df99f461d97a890bd702904a1debcbf6.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Hemiaster beecheri has been reported from the Ozan in NE Texas.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ