Fish Fossil Id

Kyleontheweb

I received this fossil marked as a fish fossil from my grandfather's collection. It says Montana, which may or may not be where the fossil actually originated from. I am hoping someone here with some better knowledge on this than me can help me figure out what this thing is exactly. Do you think this really is a fish fossil? If so, what type? I have never seen any fish fossils really except for the flat ones on sandstone slabs. The matrix looks like some kind of shale or something similarly colored gray (where you can see it a bit on the ends, where the fossil is broken), and the outside of the "fish" has an interesting mother of pearl appearance.

Thanks!

Here are the pictures:

gallery_316_88_108791.jpg

gallery_316_88_67093.jpg

gallery_316_88_52722.jpg

gallery_316_88_7315.jpg

i looks like a baculite (straight shelley ammonite) section? :mellow: ? give baculite a google heres some i found by typing it in...

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/fossils/baculite1.jpg

http://www.kathryncramer.com/photos/canadi...5/crsm40009.JPG

they look similar to yours?

• I found this Informative 1

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

i looks like a baculite (straight shelley ammonite) section? :mellow: ? give baculite a google heres some i found by typing it in...

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/fossils/baculite1.jpg

http://www.kathryncramer.com/photos/canadi...5/crsm40009.JPG

they look similar to yours?

Wow! That does look pretty much exactly like it! Thank you so much, kauffy. I knew I had never seen a fish fossil like that before. I'm glad someone knew what it was. I think you hit it right on the nose, that looks exactly like it.

~Kyle

Hey Mr Kyle. Kauffy hit the nail on the head. Bacculites are ammonoids that grew fairly strait, without coils, and getting wider as they grew. And here in montana there are billions of them if you know where to go!

RB

• I found this Informative 1

Hey Mr Kyle. Kauffy hit the nail on the head. Bacculites are ammonoids that grew fairly strait, without coils, and getting wider as they grew. And here in montana there are billions of them if you know where to go!

RB

Iwill kill just to have even one of those billions of Baculites! Their incredible conservation is fab! :D

• Members

One can find some nicely preserved baculites here in Alberta. Baculites is used as the principal index fossil in marine Late Createous deposits. (the species vary and are used to date the deposits).

post-69-1207409966_thumb.jpg

post-69-1207409993_thumb.jpg (silicified specimen)

One can find some nicely preserved baculites here in Alberta. Baculites is used as the principal index fossil in marine Late Createous deposits. (the species vary and are used to date the deposits).

post-69-1207409966_thumb.jpg

post-69-1207409993_thumb.jpg (silicified specimen)

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Those are some cool pics there geofossil! Nice looking specimens.

Hey Kyle, here is one I found a few years ago. I couldnt find the other end of rock, (sad, but it happens), otherwise there would be a bit more of this specimen. The really cool thing is the open end showing the chamber wall covered in some very fine calcite crystals and a nice little cluster of clear calcite crystals too. You can also see the siphon on the dorsal side. Im assuming dorsal? I still need to do my homework.

RB

post-171-1207488032_thumb.jpg

post-171-1207488072_thumb.jpg

I received this fossil marked as a fish fossil from my grandfather's collection. It says Montana, which may or may not be where the fossil actually originated from. I am hoping someone here with some better knowledge on this than me can help me figure out what this thing is exactly. Do you think this really is a fish fossil? If so, what type? I have never seen any fish fossils really except for the flat ones on sandstone slabs. The matrix looks like some kind of shale or something similarly colored gray (where you can see it a bit on the ends, where the fossil is broken), and the outside of the "fish" has an interesting mother of pearl appearance.

Thanks!

Here are the pictures:

gallery_316_88_108791.jpg

gallery_316_88_67093.jpg

gallery_316_88_52722.jpg

gallery_316_88_7315.jpg

This is a straight cephalopod called a Baculites from the Cretaceous. Maybe B. compressus.