Fossil Cleaning

zvogt86

• New Members

I am kinda new to the whole fossil collecting hobby. I used to do it when I was a kid, but never really got into it.

Anyway, I found some fossils close to my home and I am wondering the best way to clean away the dirt from the fossils (mostly bivalves and crinoids, not sure of the last one) so they are more visible. I'm wondering if bleach is the best way to go. The rock type is shale. If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would not use bleach as it could damage the fossils. When cleaning I normally only use water and brushes along with the usual assortment of dental picks and the like.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a bucket of water and a toothbrush and nail brush. After they dry then I'll use a Dremel tool with a wire brush attachment to clean away most of the softer matrix that adheres to the fossil. Most of my stuff is found in layers of limestone and clayey shale and the wire brush does a good job.post-3088-12727230401902_thumb.jpg Before

post-3088-12727230508713_thumb.jpg After

Hydrogen peroxide will dissolve or soften up some of the softer shales, but so will water, just not as fast.

I am kinda new to the whole fossil collecting hobby. I used to do it when I was a kid, but never really got into it.

Anyway, I found some fossils close to my home and I am wondering the best way to clean away the dirt from the fossils (mostly bivalves and crinoids, not sure of the last one) so they are more visible. I'm wondering if bleach is the best way to go. The rock type is shale. If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

There's a good discussion related to this question going on in another thread here in General Fossil Discussion: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?showtopic=12813

Don