Best Find While Fishing?

West4me

I have been reading through the forums and it appears that fossils and fish often go hand in hand. Thought it would be interesting to see everyone's "fishing finds."

Here is mine, I know nothing about it but I will learn.

post-3106-1271956495032_thumb.jpg

Edited by West4me

"You have to listen. It is under the rocks."

Hey West4me,

Welcome! Looks like you have some type of gastropod there.cool.gif

Nice find! biggrin.gif

If you post where (roughly) it's from, you may be able to get a better ID. Also - when you take pictures, try to get something in there for scale - IE - a coin or Ruler.

Thanks for showing us your find.

Welcome, Again. smile.gifbiggrin.gif

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks! I will try and figure it out. I didn't want to ask in this forum but the information about putting in something for size reference is most appreciated.

Fossil sand dollars Mellita quinquesperforata in dredge areas along the Texas coast. Found a cool artifact while deer hunting once, was told it was a heavily resharpened Guadalupe tool. It is about 7 inches long.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I'm going to have to look up Mellita quinquesperforata. :) Thanks for the post.

Dino prints, or at least what I think are dino prints.

That is one thing I am always hopping to see. Would love to see some pictures.

the only interesting thing ive ever found while fishing, was fish! lol. actually, i think ive found a few arrowheads throughout the years while freshwater fishing. i mainly saltwater fish anymore these days though, and unfortunately there are no fossils to be found on the beaches around here. ive found lots of lures too.

Sorry for not giving a more recognizable name for the Mellita. They are modern keyhole sand dollars, only found in hard matrix packed with crushed bits of other Mellita. They are Pleistocene in age.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I guess it would have to be the broken piece of ammonite that made me realize there were cool fossils all around me and got me into this. Ever since that day, there is no distinction between a fishing trip and fossil hunting trip, it's all the same to me, I'm always looking.

Take it easy, but take it

Sorry for not giving a more recognizable name for the Mellita. They are modern keyhole sand dollars, only found in hard matrix packed with crushed bits of other Mellita. They are Pleistocene in age.

Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate both names, I am here to learn after all.

the only interesting thing ive ever found while fishing, was fish! lol. actually, i think ive found a few arrowheads throughout the years while freshwater fishing. i mainly saltwater fish anymore these days though, and unfortunately there are no fossils to be found on the beaches around here. ive found lots of lures too.

Nothing like getting out on the ocean to do some fishing. I am pretty much stuck inland hunting trout.

I guess it would have to be the broken piece of ammonite that made me realize there were cool fossils all around me and got me into this. Ever since that day, there is no distinction between a fishing trip and fossil hunting trip, it's all the same to me, I'm always looking.

Sounds a lot like my story. Nice that they work so well together.

Nothing like getting out on the ocean to do some fishing. I am pretty much stuck inland hunting trout.

nothing wrong with that! i used to do quite a bit of trout fishing in the beaverkill river in upstate n.y. these days however this is about as close as i come to a trout...

post-1676-12719826315613_thumb.jpg

emptyosis budweiserensis found in abundance. :D

Yes a very common species here as well.

West4me.....I fished an old brickpit in Bedford England..... It was about 40 acres in size but only had around 15 big Carp in it so I did get plenty chance to hunt the margins for fossils....Fishing on this lake was the waiting list for another lake right next to it..... It gave the members chance to suss you out and make sure you knew what you were doing..... the ammonites were not preserved very well but there were plenty Belemnites pieces to be found..... It took me 2 years with a 260 mile round trip each visit to catch one of the big ones......

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• 4 months later...

A few Devonian goodies I found while fishing the Salmon river in Pulaski, NY:

fossils1.jpg

fossils2.jpg

fossils5.jpg

slate2.jpg

slate3.jpg

There is an abundance of Devonian shale on that river!