New To Fossil Huntting

covargas2001

Im going to the peace river in arcadia florida, what should i do to find nice shark teeth?

yes, repeat tracers guide over and over. And keep an eye out for other fossils...I found more interesting bones there than fossils when I was there. (at least in my opinion).

-Roddy

PS: A 1/4" screen is what is recommended, I used a 1/2" with great results but undoubtedly lost some smaller things. And, there are some good locations upstream of the Gardner, Florida boatramp that you can wade to. Look for coarse gravel and sift that.

condition, rinse, repeat!

i really did laugh out loud...

ahahahahahaaaaaaa... im still giggling as i type this.

The river has been very difficult to hunt this year, due to high water. If you're new to this, what you experience will be much easier to do next winter/drought.

I personally didn't see any gators while I was hunting the Peace. I know they're there, but the winter isn't their most active time and its the best time to hunt. So they could be worse.

You have all the basic building blocks: 1) find gravel 2) Using a shovel , put the gravel in a sieve. 3) avoid the very few larger gators.

Gravel spots: From Arcadia Boat ramp, 1/4 mile upstream around bend, there is camp site with off road vehicles. 3/4 of way across river is a gravel bar running at least 100 feet long.

From Zolfo Springs Boat Ramp in Pioneer Park, 400 yards upstream (under rt17 bridge and past trailer park), look on the left sid e of river after passing washboards.

Best of luck --- may the fossil gods smile on you :D

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• 2 weeks later...

You have all the basic building blocks: 1) find gravel 2) Using a shovel , put the gravel in a sieve. 3) avoid the very few larger gators.

Gravel spots: From Arcadia Boat ramp, 1/4 mile upstream around bend, there is camp site with off road vehicles. 3/4 of way across river is a gravel bar running at least 100 feet long.

From Zolfo Springs Boat Ramp in Pioneer Park, 400 yards upstream (under rt17 bridge and past trailer park), look on the left sid e of river after passing washboards.

Shellseeker, What do you mean, "passing washboards"?

We have family to take to the river this upcoming weekend, and I don't know where to go either to find some decent gravel that hasn't been picked to death. Won't have canoes to use. Pioneer Park and 1000 Trails park sites seem pretty picked over, and there is a hard limestone bottom there that stops the scoop.

Washboards are hard limestone beds just under the surface, maybe 12-18 inches deep, causing rapids and porting of canoes or kayaks.

Usually, I go in at Pioneer Park boat ramp, upstream under the rt 17 bridge, past the trailer/rv park on the left, and then maybe 100 yards to the washboards.

Past the washboards, a couple of bends, gravel off the left side of the river bank. it is a short trip for a kayak, but getting there on foot may be difficult

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"