Dinosaur & Croc Faunal List of the Hell Creek and Lance Formations

Troodon

Brochu's paper only examined those specimens referred to as Leidyosuchus so Prodiplocynodon is not mentioned but shown in the attached clad.   Only one skull is known.  So on the surface it appears valid but I wonder if someone like Brochu needs to examine it and see how similar it is to Borealosuchus.   @jpc

Hard to believe there is another large Croc in that fauna.

1672510421646.thumb.jpg.9f22d459d3f6d749551ef567a0d43028.jpg

@Jurassicbro238 thank you. 

46 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Brochu's paper only examined those specimens referred to as Leidyosuchus so Prodiplocynodon is not mentioned but shown in the attached clad.   Only one skull is known.  So on the surface it appears valid but I wonder if someone like Brochu needs to examine it and see how similar it is to Borealosuchus.   @jpc

Hard to believe there is another large Croc in that fauna.

1672510421646.thumb.jpg.9f22d459d3f6d749551ef567a0d43028.jpg

@Jurassicbro238 thank you. 

Indeed, looks like he left it in the cladogram suggesting that he has not sunk it yet.  So, I would include it on your list.   

34 minutes ago, jpc said:

So, I would include it on your list. 

I did make the change, always seeing new things...great

Thank you so much Troodon. This species list will certainly help me get an idea of what I am finding and what to expect for new materials.

• Enjoyed 1

Really insightful! Do you know if anyone has proposed that any of these morphs to be an extreme case of individual variation? Or even a hybrid species? If I remember correctly, Yoshi shows characteristics of both T. horridus and T. prorsus.

"I object quite strongly to the idea that there is only one way, one hypothesis that can be considered at a time."

I think this is something any scientist should always have at the back of their minds when doing any kind of research.

15 minutes ago, Jurassicbro238 said:

Really insightful! Do you know if anyone has proposed that any of these morphs to be an extreme case of individual variation? Or even a hybrid species? If I remember correctly, Yoshi shows characteristics of both T. horridus and T. prorsus.

Nothing that I'm aware of has been published but Denver does say he expects some to be.  Agree on your last comment

• 1 month later...

Here is a 2019 listing of genera by estimated mass size,  Walter Stein

Genera Updates since orginal publication:

Aviasaurus is now viewed as a Crocodyliform (Currie  et al. 2023)

cf Albertonychus is now Trierarhunchus prairiensis (Fowler 2019)

Zapsalis is no longer valid (Currie et al. 2019)

745375938_Screenshot_20230613_042816_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.98a04af106cedccaafb417ae7decc3ac.jpg

• I found this Informative 1