Fossil finding videos

SpeedThrash

• New Members

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this!

I've recently started watching videos from several popular YouTube channels that walk along beaches etc looking for fossils. I'm very new to this all, are these videos highly edited/even fake or is it actually possible to spot crab concretions or find trilobite fossils on a normal day out at the right place?

Thanks in advance! I just know a lot of stuff these days is faked for viewership

Have a look at our Fossil Hunting Trips subforum and you'll see that it is quite possible to find complete fossils. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Highly edited? Yes. Completely fabricated? I doubt it.

These are people showing what they enjoy doing. I've seen many videos with meager finds, and sometimes, it is the luck of the draw that decides what you find.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

In Maryland

The sands of Chesapeake Beach down to the Solomons are full of shark teeth.  Collectors, kids, families swarm these areas on western shore of Chesapeake Bay to enjoy this treasure that the cliffs continue to replenish

In general, these guys doing the videos have been searching for fossils a lot longer than they have been making videos.  Their skill lies in identifying which rocks to look at in detail rather than in special effects.   

On 11/14/2022 at 11:40 AM, SpeedThrash said:

I'm very new to this all, are these videos highly edited/even fake

What is a fake?

I can imagine that some gals and guys are running around whole day with a helmet camera and video on. That´s possible with todays average men equipment? Are they really doing it that way? I don´t know!

I can also imagine that they hide away a fossil just found to "document" the moment of finding. Some videos point to that behaviour. Is this fake?

On 11/14/2022 at 11:40 AM, SpeedThrash said:

is it actually possible to spot crab concretions or find trilobite fossils on a normal day out at the right place?

Yes, of course. With the important thing in bold ;).

Franz Bernhard