Fossil Fest 2010

Frank Menser

It's that time of year. Who's going to Aurora, NC Memorial day weekend for FOSSIL FEST? We will be there on Saturday morning resplendant in fossil forum Hat and T-shirt! :D

post-1313-12721427177911_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

My father, Kristine, and I all will be making the trip down. Last year I had a 104 degree fever the whole weekend and it was misrable digging in the heat. This time I'll be down ready to dig healthy! So watch out megs here bmore comes!

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Is there more info on this Fossil Fest? Are they allowing access into the Aurora pit?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I'll be there. I'm a member of the Friends of the Museum Club and attend every year. I love digging the fresh reject piles, seeing all the great displays and even sitting through the auction although I can't

afford to place any bids. The speakers were very good last year, too.

-greel

Greel we need to dig together, i have always been wanting to meet the great white king in person

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

We will be heading down Wednesday or Thursday to help set up and maybe take a walk in a local creek or mine to see what we might find. Then we will be helping out on Saturday and of course attending the auction!

Greel we need to dig together, i have always been wanting to meet the great white king in person

Sounds like a plan to me. You can visit my FB page (Gerald-Karen Reel) to get an idea of who to look for

in the piles. I'm the gray-haired ugly guy standing in front of the Gulf of Mexico. Obsessed1 knows who I am, if you need somebody to point me out.

-greel

I get the feeling that the hardest thing to spot will be those piles with all the hunters on top... :P

Look for me in the display rooms.

I'm off to Aurora saturday morning to check out the auction and to compare the Sawfish tooth I displayed here with the one that will be on auction there.

post-1313-12726322094854_thumb.jpg

I will be there and set up inside the museum annex. I will be there Friday and Saturday.

so i get to buy all your nice fossils on friday? lol

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I will be there and set up inside the museum annex. I will be there Friday and Saturday.

see you there :D

We will be going this year Ernie and Linda Wooten. I am hoping to get together at Black Beards Oyster Bar and Restaurant HWY 17 in Washington, NC just 30 moments north of Aurora. Would be great to see our old friends and meet up with some new ones. We had a blast last year and hope to get an even bigger group this year. Allen the owner would like a head count of everyone. We could do Friday or Saturday night or both just let me know what works for you. Let me know who would like to come. They serve great food and for those who do not like fish they serve other great dishes. Sure would like to spend some time with our fossil friends.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

We will be going this year Ernie and Linda Wooten. I am hoping to get together at Black Beards Oyster Bar and Restaurant HWY 17 in Washington, NC just 30 moments north of Aurora. Would be great to see our old friends and meet up with some new ones. We had a blast last year and hope to get an even bigger group this year. Allen the owner would like a head count of everyone. We could do Friday or Saturday night or both just let me know what works for you. Let me know who would like to come. They serve great food and for those who do not like fish they serve other great dishes. Sure would like to spend some time with our fossil friends.

Sadly we will miss it again as night driving is imposible for us. :unsure:

see you there :D

Megateeth

We were there from 10-1 and could not find you. Nor was the museum staff aware of you. Hopefully better luck on the fesitval.

i

I do hope all of you that are going take a peek in the museum itself. They had some pretty cool goodies including some discount books. We left with a couple 2" plus Enchodus teeth some whale material and a nice croc tooth. The auction items are on display...LOOK OUT! :wub::wub:

Collected a bit in the piles. Great place to find nice whale verts. Most people who go there toss them aside (their loss) ;)

In all a good preview visit.