Would like to find a few ammonites in North Texas

Mimzie

• New Members

I'm very new to fossil hunting (I've never been!) But I am hoping to find some ammonites in North Texas. The problem is I am not sure where exactly to go and the 2nd problem is, I'm very limited on time (and money) SO i need a day trip (I'm about 4hrs away from Dallas area). I see Spring Creek is a good spot... but that creek runs forever it seems! I'm not looking to take a car load home, I'm looking for just a few pieces! My 78yr old mother and 75yr old aunt would be thrilled to have an ammonite!! But i gotta find it myself! It would be kinda cheating to just buy one some where. 

So can anyone pinpoint me to a location where I should be able to find a few (small ones are just fine!) And like I said, limited on time and money! I've got a bunch of kids (8 with 5 still at home) and a full time job (stay at home mom) at home! So hoping for a place I can find a few in a few hours (cant justify spending money on a hotel and cant afford it either) I'm willing to do the work, just need a location! 

Rachel

Edited by Mimzie

I'm not a Texan, as you can see from my profile, so I don't know your area and unfortunately can't help you directly with your request, but I would at least like to suggest to you that you look for a rockhounding or fossil club in your area which you could join or at least contact. They always have a lot of experienced people who are willing to help newbies and offer excursions. Hopefully someone from Texas will come along here soon and point you in the right direction.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

4 hours ago, Mimzie said:

But i gotta find it myself! It would be kinda cheating to just buy one some where. 

IMO buying may be a good option

There are some very nice polished ammonites that would make an attractive display piece. Particularly the ones from Madagascar 

• Thank You 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

IF you are on facebook, look up the Dallas Paleontology Society.  The Dallas area and northward into Oklahoma are just about packed with ammonites.  The DPS can help you narrow your search a little.  Just an FYI, that the ammonites there are steinkerns, which means they are a fossilized mold of the original fossil.  Its exceedingly rare to find one with any remaining shell.

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

• New Members
10 hours ago, Yoda said:

IMO buying may be a good option

There are some very nice polished ammonites that would make an attractive display piece. Particularly the ones from Madagascar 

Nah, we arent fancy like that!! My Mom and Aunt would love a rough looking ammonite over a polished one any day! <3 

• New Members
10 hours ago, NSRhunter said:

Denison Dam at Lake Texoma, Walk west along the shoreline

I have a youtube video on that place! I'll probably go there since its pretty clear on the directions <3 

10 hours ago, Mimzie said:

Nah, we arent fancy like that!! My Mom and Aunt would love a rough looking ammonite over a polished one any day! <3 

Ok, fair enough. :thumbsu:

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Your skills will greatly advance when you learn the geologic layers and what layer contains what in Texas.

It's not so much the specific sites it's the geologic formations

Edited by LanceH
  • I Agree 1