Advice On Peace River

fossilsofnj

I’ll be heading down to Sanibel Island, Florida for a vacation in June and my wife has consented to allow me a day to give Peace River a try. Obviously, not knowing the area I thought going with one of local outfitters would be best. I would prefer a canoe or snorkel trip. I’ve looked online, but would rather get advice from some of the local experts.

Will I need a permit to collect in Florida?

John

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

No permit for sharks teeth. University of Florida issues permits for other finds. No collection of arrowheads on state land.

Link is around here somewhere. Fossil permit Oh and if you go with Mark Renz or another guide I believe you are covered.

Glad that you are going to visit Sanibel and the Peace River. I live on Sanibel and drive to Acardia, Brownsville, CHarlie Creek, Zolfo Springs, and Wauchula.. and thus I know all the transport time from Sanibel. Wauchula is 1hr 50minutes from Sanibel.

I need a fossil permit, so I think you do also, The good news is that it costs $5/year,

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/permitapplication.htm

Look up Mark Renz, everyone on this forum respects him. He takes newbies out to find fossils and teeth, and Delivers.

Snorkel is difficult or impossible this year. Heavy Rains all winter means deeper and muddy waters. Think sieve and shovel.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I strongly recommend going with Mark Renz. He will show you and teach you things about the fossils found on the Peace River that are nothing short of fascinating. www.fossilexpeditions.com He is fantastic, knowledgable and you'll be very glad you went on a hunt with him.

Wow, unanimous. Thanks for the input everyone. :D

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

I agree also-Renz is the guy.Be sure you see his collection!

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png  November, 2016  PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png   April, 2019