Possible titanium rich stone?

Callahan

18 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Bryan are there any marks/scratches on the rock from the screwdriver?  It looked like it in the video.

Can you see any previous gouging in the rock?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

If the rock leaves no streak then the cheap (and soft) screwdriver will not scratch it. This level of the hardness test should use a knife blade (hardened steel) not a soft iron. Can a piece of glass scratch it? Will it scratch glass?

We need a better hardness test than just a cheap screwdriver.

Also, still waiting for a specific gravity.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Yes scratches wipe off and using quite a bit of force    Will get back to all y’all with spec gravity and clear video and close ups of scratch again. 

Also looking back from last summer I found more pics I took before I took rock out of location where I found it. 

I will share 

• 5 months later...

All who are interested still and following this thread.  

Dallas gem society is going to look and test this unusual rock tonight with some possible topaz and other rocks that left me stumped.  

i post what they say on this rock and the other on this thread about this rock and topaz thread that’s new.   

Thanks to all who shared there mineral knowledge and maybe will get down to this stone 

will post findings soon. 

• I found this Informative 1

Fyi didn’t make to gem society.  Work got in way.  

i just bought a digital scale up to five pounds and going to do gravity and hardness test on this rock and document 

will let y’all know what the tests come out to be.  

thanks y’all. 

SG is in the range of usual rocks. Considering all other properties, we are most probably here:

On 1/26/2023 at 3:53 PM, ynot said:

?? Possibly a carbon rich chert gastrolith?

Eventually minus the gastrolith, I don´t know, but who knows ;)?

Edit: Considering where and how it was found (single stone in cretaceous beds), gastrolith isn´t really out of order. Icebergs were not around during that time, so not a dropstone.

Good example for: Context counts!

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

Yes kind of what I was thinking.

I found another highly polished rock in same creek layer almost same spot but directly other side recently fishing and swimming. 

So I think your right. 

Here is pic of new gastrolith 

image.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Really pretty rock. Has inclusions inside here to tell from pic.  Looks like moss agate like inclusion and has what I think maybe pyrite in one spot or the inclusions inside are pyrite 

27 minutes ago, Callahan said:

I found another highly polished rock

That´s clearly a quartz-rich rock! Lots of fine percusion marks, if I am correct?

Gastrolith? I don´t know! But good to have two of these!
Franz Bernhard

I started polishing on my polishing wheel at 600 grit yesterday.  Going to work my way to 3000 to 4000.  Very clear rock and can see the carbon, hematite, metallic formation clearly when done   

will send pic to you.  

Also why I got your ear you ever seen Anything like this ?

Heavy metallic magnetic  rock recently found in river. 

Cut and lightly polished inside. It’s weird like possible some type of man made ore?

or natural metal conglomerate?

will polish outside to get corrosion off and maybe cut it on half other way. 

Any thoughts ?

bryan callahan

380956B2-65A8-4AD8-ADE6-3A2928A4AA10.jpeg

4836A336-25B1-40BB-AF34-E51C756EB6DE.jpeg

23EAF166-7E54-40FD-A0DC-8130D6B11EDB.jpeg

529D4FE6-806A-478C-8BD8-A5AE3B6D9668.jpeg

C618585C-590E-4ED1-A5FF-8BD20A03EB2F.jpeg

Both stones together what has been discussed on this thread found in same gray Marle clay layer below limestone outcrop north Texas.  

wity the recommendations from here they could be possible gastrointestinal stones  

They were embedded in sediment layer and like said on here no glaciers nor river to polish em that I know off over time.  

Hope y’all can see gold metal flakes in gray quartz like stone.  Also one pic shows  rough matrix of gray one.  

both stones have some sort of soft metal coming out of stone.  Soft enough to leave marks on 4000 grit sand paper.  Gray streaks. 

when I get the nerve to possibly cut em in half with wet stone saw I will post cross section inside and maybe get a better look  and id possibly.  

Rough dyi gravity test shows to be quartz. 

hardness test hasn’t been done yet.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 1 month later...

I tumbled these to 2 rocks in this discussion for a month or so to polish. 

the gray one changed a lot and shows what looks to be quartz  and now maybe get a better pic of mineral composed of. 

Quartz with other minerals that grew inside ?

black rock has pyrite or gold flakes imbedded throughout 

gravity is 2.6 using water method on both stones. 

Redish rock has some sort of metallic mineral growth inside. 

really pretty rock now polished 

I saw online maybe something called plum quartz?

anyways now they have been tumbled and with gravity maybe will narrow id of the 2 rocks. 

On this thread or another I posted these rocks people said gastrointestinal stones from dinosaur being they were found in same sediment layer very close to one another. 

Any recommendations would be much appreciated 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's really hard to judge these rocks just from a few photos. Since we are a fossil related forum, most of us don't have the expertise to give a proper mineralogical judgement unless something is completely obvious with crystal morphology showing. Why don't you try your luck with a website specializing in mineralogy like Mindat?

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Sounds good   I’ll just say they are some prettier than usual quartz and leave it at that.  

might make something out of em like knife handle scales or jewelry for my wife or daughter.  

do a dyi cut em into smaller pieces and maybe facet some. 

thanks to you and all. I learned a lot from you folks on here and thanks 

• Thank You 1