Sauropod19

Hello. I am terribly bad at stratigraphy and was wondering if I could get some assistance demarcating the cut off between the Waynesville and Liberty Formations at South Gate Hill on Indiana 1. In particular, after looking through a decent number of threads online, I have found that the "Butter shale" has been ascribed to both formations, and I'm just wondering which it belongs to. Thank you, and I apologize that I do not currently have an image of the hill to contribute to this question.

Have a look at this Topic.

Apologies if you have already seen it.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

There are multiple butter shale units in the Cincinnatian Series. The trilobite bearing shale at St. Leon is in the Liberty Formation.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Here is one more for you.  This is out of the Ohio Geological Survey Guidebook 13 ( a nice resource if you do much collecting in the Cincinnatian).  Sorry its sort of a wonky picture.  And yes to what @connorp said.

IMG-7986.thumb.jpg.bc066d509dd1765f3e3ab1f3993e25ff.jpg

23 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

Here is one more for you.  This is out of the Ohio Geological Survey Guidebook 13 ( a nice resource if you do much collecting in the Cincinnatian).  Sorry its sort of a wonky picture.  And yes to what @connorp said.

IMG-7986.thumb.jpg.bc066d509dd1765f3e3ab1f3993e25ff.jpg

@ClearLake Thank you kindly for introducing this resource! I am a bit confused on how to interpret how the road signs play into this diagram as I have very limited background in reading these. I understand the formations are being separated by elevation but cannot quite picture how to relate that information to the non-numerical markers on the right side.

Yes, I probably should have pointed that out.  It indicates where those actual road signs are in the section.  Mind you that was a couple of decades ago.  Would the Highway Dept. possibly have removed them, moved them since then???  I did go look on Google Street View and I still see the "Keep Right" sign but did not see the curve sign.

6 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

Yes, I probably should have pointed that out.  It indicates where those actual road signs are in the section.  Mind you that was a couple of decades ago.  Would the Highway Dept. possibly have removed them, moved them since then???  I did go look on Google Street View and I still see the "Keep Right" sign but did not see the curve sign.

The curve sign is gone. Which is a shame since it closely marked Waynesville/Liberty contact. It’s not clear to me exactly where it lies, especially since that interval is covered in talus on one side and overgrown on the other.

3 hours ago, connorp said:

There are multiple butter shale units in the Cincinnatian Series. The trilobite bearing shale at St. Leon is in the Liberty Formation.

:DittoSign:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 2 weeks later...

You need to read the written descriptions of the formations. Maps and cross sections of cuts are approximations. The benches that the state cut do not necessarily follow the formations. 

It also helps to get a hold of a good geological dictionary.

• I found this Informative 2