February Matoaka Finds ID Help

Snaggletooth19

Took a trip to Matoaka Beach (Miocene, Choptank Formation) yesterday. I found a couple medium sized Hemis and one gentleman from the Baltimore area found a really nice one that he allowed me to get a photo of that I thought I'd share for everyone. I don't need any ID help on that, but it's certainly drool-worthy.

But other than shark teeth, I found a couple of other items that I'd like some help confirming ID for.

1. I assume this is a bony fish vertebra. It has an interesting shape. Is there any way to ID genus or species for this time period?

2. This piece resembles an inner ear bone and has some markings that resemble the vascularity of bone. 

3. This is an odd piece and has a tooth-like shape with definitely some residual enamel on it.

4. Could this be a ray barb? It also resembles a bony fish tooth I've found in other formations.

5. I assume this is an odontocete tooth, but it is rather small. Any way to narrow down genus or species?

Thanks to anyone willing to help out!

Big Hemi Matoaka.jpg

5 Matoaka Fossils.jpg

Fish Vert 1.jpg

Fish Vert End On.jpg

Ear Bone1.jpg

Ear Bone2.jpg

Ear Bone3.jpg

Ear Bone4.jpg

Weird Tooth1.jpg

Weird Tooth2.jpg

Weird Tooth3.jpg

Weird Tooth4.jpg

Weird Tooth5.jpg

Spine tooth fossil 1.jpg

Spine tooth fossil 2.jpg

Spine tooth fossil 3.jpg

Spine tooth fossil 4.jpg

Odontocete tooth 1.jpg

Odontocete tooth 3.jpg

Odontocete tooth 2.jpg

43 minutes ago, Snaggletooth19 said:

3. This is an odd piece and has a tooth-like shape with definitely some residual enamel on it.

This one is giving me a bit of a Tilly Bone vibe (though a very worn one at that). I'm not saying anything conclusively on this eroded of a fossil but have a look at this page to see what I'm talking about:

https://lakeneosho.org/Fossil/index.html

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: That is one monster Hemi the other guy found. Not an uncommon species but pretty cool when you get a nicely complete one of that size. ;)

Welcome to the Fossil Forum... Good place for fossil enthusiasts to interact..

On #5,  it is certainly a dolphin tooth.. Many dolphin species in the fossil record are common up and down the east coast..

In Florida,  we have Pomatodelphis inaequalis, a river dolphin... teeth and jaw below...

Fig8_Clarendonian.jpg

IMG_0249_Goniodelphis.jpg

Pamatodelphis_inequalis1.jpg.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"