Pyritized Brachs From Indiana?

JimB88

Back in 94' or 95' I bought a pyritized brachiopod that was from western Indiana. Has anyone else heard of them? Does anyone know if they still find those around there, cause' Im finding nothing on the web.

Are you sure it came from Indiana? I have seen quite a few for sale from the Silica Shale of Ohio.

Ohio is the only place I know of for sure. Do you have a picture?

Nope, I don't have it anymore - I'm looking to get a new one. The dealer at M.A.P.S. had labeled it from a quarry in western Indiana (he very well could've been wrong.)

I am not familiar with the geology of western Indiana, but it seems plausible the the Silica outcrops there, too. It is found in the northeast part of the state, and some of those same formations are found on the other side of the Kankakee Arch.

I have personally collected many brachs from the silica shale of sylvania. I could sell/trade you some of those if you would like.

I have personally collected many brachs from the silica shale of sylvania. I could sell/trade you some of those if you would like.

I would be interested in trading for the pyritized brachs. I have fossil shark teeth from the Miocene of Calvert Cliffs and ferns from St Clair, PA. Let me know if you are interested. Fossilnut

Im interested, let me know for how much. pm me.