Need advice on how to display a Beluga Whale vertebra in a cloche

Alexthecephalopod

• New Members

Hello,

I purchased a beluga whale vertebra fossil as a gift and I am trying to figure out the best way to display it. I want to put it in a cloche but I would like to secure it to the base somehow if possible.

I found an example of one on display on what looks like a brass rod (picture attached) and I like the look of this however I have some questions about how to do this:

- What is the best way to drill into a fossil like this?

- What is the best way/adhesive to affix the fossil to the rod to ensure it is secure?

- Is there a lot of risk of breaking the fossil in doing this?

- Is there any alternative/less damaging way to have it "floating" in the cloche like this?

Alternatively, the vertebrae stands fairly well on its own and I could have it just sitting on the base. However, I would still like to secure it somehow if I go with that, is there a recommended way to do this?

I'm open to all feedback and suggestions on the best way to display this in the cloche, I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of or just don't know about. I have included pictures of the vertebra sitting up, what the bottom looks like, and laying down so you can see the size. 

Thank you so much for your help!

IMG_4660.jpegIMG_4658.jpegIMG_4659.jpegIMG_4610.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Try reversible non-damaging methods first. Try mounting it on a base with Geo-Tac, Mineral mounting putty (Terostat). You can easily move the fossil to a new position without damaging the fossil.

Geotac LINK

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Welcome to the forum

I think you are looking for something like this which I found on a google search. Unfortunately I cannot tell you where to find the riser.  You can search acrylic risers to see if you can find something similar.  I would avoid any drilling holes into the specimen, never a good idea.

Question how do you know it's from a Beluga whale they all look the same to me.  FYI Vertebrae plural, Vertebra singular

Screenshot_20230222_054657_Firefox.thumb.jpg.4f96d975b9feb13b1675aaf0cad8bfb9.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

Personally I prefer something like this. It just holds the fossil in place, and gives a great presentation. Finding a base mounter to can make these unique bases can be hard to find. 

edit: do NOT drill in the fossil, never

242360-10.jpg

Edited by Phos_01
  • I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

I agree... NEVER drill into a fossil.  Esp if it is something you paid money for... the value just dropped a ton.  But drilling into fossils is just not done these days... that is so 100 years ago.  A frame like in the post by Phos 01 can be made of a coat hanger and some pliers.  Then drill a hole into the wooden base for it.   

Another easy stand to make is with spray foam from the hardware store.   Wrap your fossil in saran wrap and then spray a little foam onto another piece of saran wrap or wax paper.  These things will prevent the foam from sticking to anything but itself.  The stuff does not come off of clothing so wear your nicest evening dress... or not..   The foam will expand either a bit or a bunch depending on which kind you get.  Just before it sets up place your plastic wrapped fossil and hold it there or set up something to do this for you.  The foam will set in less than 15 minutes or so.  After it is all set up, remove the fossil (and saran wrap) from the foam and carve the foam to a shape that will fit your display using a sharp knife.  Then cover it with a piece of cloth and place your fossil onto its custom made support.  Voila.  Unfortunately these cans of spray foam like to be used all at once, s if you have a few to mount this way, line them all up and do it all. 

edit.... the foam does decompose in UV light, so you have to cover it with cloth.  I use black (or green) velvet.  Not cheap, but looks good. 

edit again:  Now that I think about it, I may have put a bottom layer of masonite or something below the foam to give it more rigidity.  Here are few pictures of fossils with very irregular bottom sides mounted with custom foam bases.  A Lepticitis skeleton and a hadrosaur vertebra. (Ignore the reflection of the guy taking the photo).  This can easily be done with a whale vert.

864299551_leptstand.jpg.dc8444c8941fb19ecbddffa9a53c5a0b.jpg

1592430203_hadrvertstand.jpg.d0d0440c1fa4455e0206828577ce6556.jpg

Edited by jpc
  • I found this Informative 4

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Need advice on how to display a Beluga Whale vertebra in a cloche

jpc comments triggerd what Ive done to some of my dinosaur vertebrae.  

I did not want them to stand up in a stand so found this clay that is very soft and drys like a rock.  I shape it to the desired size, place plastic on it and slowly push the vertebra into it to get a good cavity.  I leave it all in place until it almost hard them remove the vert and plastic.  Its quick and easy.  They stay in place quite well.

Here are a few examples20230222_105317.thumb.jpg.71d55940e9f745ccbae756dc0867a034.jpg20230222_105327.thumb.jpg.e7c2b348b94d0ea3122347c6813be0ed.jpg

20230222_105203.thumb.jpg.9dcd818af3c4659638af79a4550e189f.jpg

20230222_105211.thumb.jpg.7e29827bcc65789d723438ae39f1fa47.jpg

20230222_105217.thumb.jpg.cda3436c5045d633ca76eaf47480f7c9.jpg

Screenshot_20230222_110822_Chrome.jpg.e72278095e65696b43ee00367abc5a1d.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

• New Members

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I definitely won't be drilling into it now will all your advice (was hoping to avoid this anyway).

I'm not sure exactly which method I will be going with yet but I will make sure to post it when I am finished.

Seriously, thank you this topic was difficult to Google and all this info is so helpful.

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Alexthecephalopod said:

Seriously, thank you this topic was difficult to Google and all this info is so helpful.

I know what you mean. A big part of the learning curve can be figuring out the right search terms these days! 

Did you mention how you know it’s from a beluga? Whale vertebrae by themselves aren’t diagnostic. Usually you can guesstimate that it’s a baleen or toothed whale (odontocete). But unless it was associated with the rest of the skeleton it’s hard otherwise. 

This doesn’t detract from it as a cool fossil though. It is still a piece of an ancient creature that once swam in the oceans of the past. :thumbsu:

Edited by Doctor Mud
  • I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi Alexthecephalopod,
I'm weighing in a bit late (I'm new here), was the pic you posted of the original online display you hoped to mimic listed as a fossil? 
I did a visual search for it but couldn't find it...
To me it looks very *modern*, with little or no fossilization. The only reason this is relevant is that it is common to drill holes in modern cetacean bones to mount them, while it is unlikely for a fossil.

BTW, your vert fossil, it's lovely!
Do you know where it was found?

Something simple. Just a piece of plexiglass, 3 iron rods and a washer to tighten them.

I like that the base goes unnoticed. It is necessary that the fossil attracts the attention and not the base

IMGP1040.thumb.JPG.5969cb5a8c4e183dd91a7f78e0942d0f.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

• New Members

Hi everyone!

I wanted to follow up with what I decided to do incase anyone was interested. I wanted to put it in a cloche because the person it is for has some other bones and such on display this way so I knew it would fit right in. I ended up buying some brass rods and learning how to bend them (I bought extras for practice) to make a wire display. I then glued them together and hammered them into a hole I drilled into the cloche base. All in all it could be prettier but for my first time working with all of these materials I'm decently happy with how it came out.

Some of you asked how I knew it was a beluga whale fossil and I suppose the answer is that I can't be 100% sure, I'm just trusting the website I bought it from. Even if it's not it's still a cool piece and it made a gift that was loved by the receiver so I'm just going to be happy with that :).

Seriously thank you again for all your help, I don't think I could have put together something like this without all the helpful suggestions, you guys are great!

IMG_4754.thumb.jpeg.2d25d58a62efc929c78fc972eedb42c4.jpegIMG_4755.thumb.jpeg.1ba83988919f909bed15860ff5bd46cd.jpegIMG_4757.thumb.jpeg.79f037ca909d30e28cb7c0b4eb758eaa.jpeg

IMG_4756.thumb.jpeg.5c26f44a32648e3cadd25f76421c899a.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

(Please do not post links to sales sites.  Thanks.  ;))

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 3/9/2023 at 8:49 PM, Alexthecephalopod said:

I wanted to put it in a cloche

I really like fossils in  bell cloches, glass domes, or bell jars it give them fun Victorian curio / scientific look. Also makes a nice feature out of it. Cheers Bobby 

• I Agree 2