How Do You Display Your Dinosaur Eggs?

Louie

I own a larger single Oviraptor dino egg & haven't figured out a good way to display it yet. I plan on sitting it on a table in the den. Does anyone have any ideas other than finding a lucite plastic thing to put it on? Pics are welcome too :D

You can make a nest for it :P

Haha! I'm sure there's some great looking nests out there! It's not that I don't like lucite...I use plenty of it already. Just thinking aloud about various ideas or stands other than plastic.

How about a nice wood base-like a cross section of oak showing the rings, with bark still on the edges. A nice coat of urethane would make that look sharp.

Nick

How about a nice wood base-like a cross section of oak showing the rings, with bark still on the edges. A nice coat of urethane would make that look sharp.

Nick

That's a creative, thinking outside the box idea! I know you're into nice stands and displays from what I've seen ;) Hmmm...time to get those creative juices flowing.

Heck yeah, buddy! It's all about presentation - someday, I want a room that looks like a museum, with the beautiful cabinets and awesome lighting. That would be sweet! The problem is....dun dun dun....money :(

Heck yeah, buddy! It's all about presentation - someday, I want a room that looks like a museum, with the beautiful cabinets and awesome lighting. That would be sweet! The problem is....dun dun dun....money :(

Sadly, I also have an egg that is waiting for that very special space in a cabinet. The current bubble wrap presentation just isnt very desirable! Will follow this thread to see what others have come up with--thanks! Good luck with yours! Regards, Chris

A pict of the egg might inspire some ideas!!! :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

post-423-12732400184495_thumb.jpg

:P

I like the idea of a wood base with three brass rods protruding to hold the egg.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

if it were mine i would make a custom steel bracket that holds it about 1.5 inches off of a simple black wooded base. the egg would sit at a 45 degree angle or more to give it an upright appearance and make the egg look more important. i can do that for yours if you want.

Brock

if it were mine i would make a custom steel bracket that holds it about 1.5 inches off of a simple black wooded base. the egg would sit at a 45 degree angle or more to give it an upright appearance and make the egg look more important. i can do that for yours if you want.

Brock

Brock, that's the style I'd love to go for! Love it! I could make a base but have no idea how to make a bracket to hold the egg or how to secure the bracket to the base.

Thank you so much for your offer to help. I may need your help if I can't figure it out.

Brock, that's the style I'd love to go for! Love it! I could make a base but have no idea how to make a bracket to hold the egg or how to secure the bracket to the base.

Thank you so much for your offer to help. I may need your help if I can't figure it out.

Louie - most hardware stores sell steel or brass rods. You can get one about 1/4" diameter that would be easy to cut with a hack saw. Cut 3 of them to about 1.2 - 2". Drill holes in your wooden base to fit the rods to make a metal tripod to hold the egg. Glue the rods into the base. There ya go.

Edit - a good source for your wooden base is a bowling trophy shop. Already cut and finished for you.

Edited by Xiphactinus

Alongside our stock of fossils we also have a line of art pieces that we sell. (I know that always doesn't go down too well with the purist, but bear with me)!! What I'm suggesting is that if you send some pics then we can take a look and offer some creative suggestions to show them at their best. Happy to help.

Some VERY helpful ideas so far ;) I really like and am leaning towards the idea of a black base with 4 dowel pegs or metal rods sticking out of it. I'm thinking the egg would look good on black... focusing attention on just the egg.

Suggestions are still welcome!! I do think it would be interesting to see how some of you display them!

Here's a couple of pics of it. It's kind of big at 7.75" long. Got it from Eons.

post-2306-12732778191077_thumb.jpg

post-2306-12732778447195_thumb.jpg

Hi Louie,

Ive been thinking about your egg display and Ive come up with something for you to consider. Its a very rough sketch I know but hope it helps.

Guy.

post-2476-12736834008688_thumb.jpg

Perhaps combining the idea of the mirror under the egg and the peg stand would be another option ;)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guy, that's quite a stand you drew up there! I very much appreciate the effort and thoughtfulness B) It may be a bit on the elaborate side for what I'm thinking...

Perhaps combining the idea of the mirror under the egg and the peg stand would be another option ;)

That's interesting as well! I was looking at brass rod at Lowe's on the way home tonight.

Well...looks like it'll be sitting on a lucite and brass easel for a while. It's not exactly what I was thinking but it'll do for now. Maybe I'll do something custom some day :blink:

Thanks again for the ideas!

post-2306-12741397470351_thumb.jpg