Unknown from the Peace River

Peace river rat

Hello Peace River rat here. Been a very long time since I've been here to say hello. I found this yesterday on the Peace River just south of Brownsville. 

It has me stumped. I'm thinking something from the skull or tailbone region of what would have had to have been a very large animal. It's very dense and heavy. 

This one's a real head scratcher to me.

IMG_20230301_114636_778.jpg

IMG_20230301_114646_623.jpg

Bilateral symmetry means it's from the center line of the skeleton -- skull, spine, shell.

It does look reptilian, perhaps a large turtle or tortoise.  I don't think it's a 'gator intercentrum, but I don't recognize the element.

• I Agree 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Looks like a Nuchal from a turtle to me! @digit 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

34 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Bilateral symmetry means it's from the center line of the skeleton -- skull, spine, shell.

It does look reptilian, perhaps a large turtle or tortoise.  I don't think it's a 'gator intercentrum, but I don't recognize the element.

That makes sense to me. On what looks like the bottom side of the bone you can see what looked like channels or canals that were likely nerve passages. My friend lives directly on the Peace River right down the street from me and he has a very large fossil that I would like to get your opinion on someday soon. I need to get over there and take some pictures of it..... He's a very lucky guy because right out in front of his house there are gravel beds everywhere.... I feel pretty fortunate he's a friend of mine because I can just hop on my dirt bike and go down there and hunt whenever I get ready. So much easier than trying to log a kayak from public access points.

Agree with Harry that it appears to be something midline due to the symmetry. The "bottom" does not register as any turtle carapace element that I'm aware of. I haven't seen as much giant tortoise but it doesn't look like any that I've seen in person. Doesn't really seem to be something that would be associated with a vertebra (like a dorsal or hemal arch). Skulls have all sorts of oddly shaped (and midline-symmetrical) components and there are enough different animals with skulls that can be found in the Peace that I'd probably put my money on some sort of skull element if I were pressed to do so.

Unless one of the other South Florida fossil hunters recognizes this mystery and comes to our aid, the best chance for getting it identified properly would be to the new FLMNH contact email (now that Richard has retired). I'd suggest fresh photos well lit outdoors with at least one containing a better ruler than a lighter. ;)

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/amateur-collector/fossil-id/

If someone at the museum recognizes this and you get a solid reply, don't forget to update us here so we can learn from this mystery. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Certainly does, doesn't it. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

Welcome back Robert! It has certainly been awhile!

• I Agree 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.