What Do I Do To This Ammonite

West4me

I purchased this ammonite the other day because it was rough and could be worked on. At least that is what I told myself when I bought it. I figured it would be a good piece to learn on. Now that I have it I have no idea what to do :) I used my Dremel with a brush bit to clean it up, it was impossible to see what was under all the matrix.

Any tips on the next step? If you do not mind reply like I don't know anything, because I don't.

I would like to hear what you all see and what you would do with something like this.

post-3106-1273674997964_thumb.jpg post-3106-12736750009018_thumb.jpg

post-3106-12736750047878_thumb.jpg post-3106-12736750067605_thumb.jpg

post-3106-12736750102549_thumb.jpg

"You have to listen. It is under the rocks."

i prolly would just put it on a shelf, but if you decide to go all out...

the eyes should prolly be blue

Thanks Tracer.

I have also thought of the shelf but my students do not get the full effect of the underlying beauty hidden under all the crusty stuff.

Thanks Tracer.

I have also thought of the shelf but my students do not get the full effect of the underlying beauty hidden under all the crusty stuff.

most ammonites do not have the full original aragonitic shell material preserved in a nice manner underneath whatever adhering matrix exists. so there is a distinct possibility that under the "crusty stuff" is more crusty stuff.

Your students would get the lesson of what it is, rather than a polished down piece of questionable aethetics (as some have already pointed out).

Of course I have a strong personal preference for fossils that keep their scientific value vs designer pieces. :D

Be true to the reality you create.

your ammonite is Mammites nodosoides ( Schlüter 1871 ) Turonian Morocco

Thank you for the ID.

Your students would get the lesson of what it is, rather than a polished down piece of questionable aethetics (as some have already pointed out).

Of course I have a strong personal preference for fossils that keep their scientific value vs designer pieces. :D

You have made a good point there. Aesthetics come into play a bit more with my students due to their age. If it catches their eye a bit more they are more inclined to ask questions and investigate further.

So far the opinion is to leave it alone. I think I will spend a little time just cleaning it up and then shelve it.

Thanks for the input and advice.

West4me..... It looks to me that the centre of the ammonite is crushed so there is no point exposing any more of that and if you look in the bottom image you can see suture lines which means most of the original shell has peeled off with the matrix that covered it and the internal structure or 'cast' is already exposed.... the sutures are quite near the mouth of the ammonite so theres a fair old chunk of it missing as well ....give it a rub with a cotton rag with polish on and put it on the shelf....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I`ve got another Moroccan anmo, and during a while, I tried to polish it. Then I realise that it was beautiful as it was...

post-62-12737462446391_thumb.jpg

post-62-12737462578554_thumb.jpg

Keep your eyes open at rock shows and shops. You can get some pretty nice ammonites with original(?) shell for not too much cash. They won't be big, but they will still be very beautiful. My daughter, who is now 15, still looks for and convinces me to buy these for her when we see 'em. I'm talking between $10 to $40 for specimens in the 2 to 4-inch diameter range. She likes the ones that have been sliced in half and polished as well.

You could create a really nice "set" of specimens that illustrate different types of preservation, different shell types, specimens from different time periods, Large & small, etc. Throw in a few odd heteromorphs and some photos of the most bizarre or largest ammos and you could certainly get them excited by just the shear variety.

OH and make sure to get one, or a chunk of one, that has really extra distinct and totally fractal sutures!

Edited by erose

I`ve got another Moroccan anmo, and during a while, I tried to polish it. Then I realise that it was beautiful as it was...

post-62-12737462446391_thumb.jpg

post-62-12737462578554_thumb.jpg

Looks like my kidney after a night of drinking guiness...lol... just kidding.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....