Cairo and Aswan Nile River Trip

keedler

Forum,

I am doing a Nile River trip.  Has anyone did any fossil shopping in Cairo or Aswan.  From other posts it might be dicey.  I was just wondering if anything showed up in the markets?  Anyone have any personal experience to share?

About a year ago, I visited Cairo and Aswan as well as Luxor but did not see any fossils for sale, although I wasn't looking for them either.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

You have to be very careful - as far as I know, the export of antiquities, fossils and (recent) corals is strictly forbidden. 

Extensive Upper Pleistocene shell beds occur on the Red Sea in the Hurghada resort area.  From what I hear, collecting was very prolific in the 1990s until fossils were classified as antiquities and therefore prohibited along with recent shells.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain