My Sphenodiscus Project

RJB

Hey Nicholas, you seem to be the only one following this thread, but thats ok, Im having a blast!!! Here is a pic of that first one with the missing keel part. It took me quite some time to 'rebuild' it, but I am quite pleased with how it turned out! I used lots of super glue and lots and lots of accelerator too. Then it was lots of sanding in the sink under running water to kinda smooth things out.

RB

post-171-1208988924_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of the second one with the crack running into it. Im not too happy with the part I fixed in the rock, but it was the best that I could do. I used some extra shell material from the opposing rock to do my best to cover up the crack in the ammonite itself. It really is looking much better though?

RB

post-171-1208989221_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of the bigger one. Its amazing that the one with the best color has the most problems!!! But all in all, its turning out purty darn good!!! Im learning lots of new prep skills doing these sphenos too! Oh, you can see the pen on top of this ammo to use for scale. Its realy a shame that you cant hold this 30 pound rock in your hands in the sunlight to see all the wonderful colors!!!

RB

post-171-1208989527_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

That is really nice. On a scale from 1 -10, 10 being hard to do, how would you rate the prepping of these? These nodules with crabs and other sea goodies in them make me want to quit work and get my butt up there!!

wow Ron!! those look even better than they did before! i didnt think you could make them look any better....your prep skills are amazing as usuall, you must be having fun prepping these rainbow color beauties! keep up the good work....

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

N. AL. hunter. On a scale of 1 to 10, I think these would be a 5. Crabs are a bit more work and the lobters are even more work only becuause of the rock. But I did think these spheno's would be easy at first. but now I realize they are bunches of work. And even these are not done yet. I still have to wash them, and then put on an acrylic and let set for 2 to 3 days, then sand and sand and sand and sand, starting from 150 grit and then all the way to 1000 grit and then polish. So these will be even better once done!!!

And Mr. Kauffy, I thank you very much for the compliment. My son just brought two of his teenage friends into the house to take a look at these ammos, and they took the big colorful one, picked it up and turned it side to side to be able to see all the color changes and were super amazed!!! I just stood back and watched all the looks on their faces!!! it was guite nice!!!

RB

Here is a pic of the bigger one. Its amazing that the one with the best color has the most problems!!! But all in all, its turning out purty darn good!!! Im learning lots of new prep skills doing these sphenos too! Oh, you can see the pen on top of this ammo to use for scale. Its realy a shame that you cant hold this 30 pound rock in your hands in the sunlight to see all the wonderful colors!!!

RB

Nice snail !!!

Congratulations, Mr. RB !!!! :applause:

MB

Ok, here is my next to last one. 4 pics from start to almost finished. Im saving the big 15 inch one that my son found for next year. That one will put all these that ive been working on to absolute SHAME!!! Even without any prep you can see tons of color up the guzzooo on that one!!! Its going to be a true 'airloom', not sure how to spell that? Ive also been practicing with using about 50% bicarb with 50% aluminum oxide to get these cleaned up, and now I can see that I will have to go back on two of the first ones and do a bit more air abrasive work to clean them up even better now and bring out more color. I really had no idea just how much work these things are! But dang am I having fun playing with them!!! WoooooooHoooooooo!!!! I hope you folks arent getting tired of all this Spheno ammo snarge?

RB

post-171-1209413624_thumb.jpg

post-171-1209413681_thumb.jpg

post-171-1209413742_thumb.jpg

post-171-1209413811_thumb.jpg

keep em comming. i love to look at them. and i would love to have one even more.

Brock

Well Brock ole buddy, where are my shrimp? Maybe we can do something?

RB

• 1 month later...

Ok folks, ive done a heck of alot more work on these. I didnt know that it was going to take so dang much work! And I still have a bit more to do. Just not happy with the way a couple turned out. Those need a bit more sanding. And boy oh boy did I get tired of sanding!!! Ive got so many pictures that I will just put on the pictures I have for each one on a different post. This one I simply call, "The Concretion"!

RB

post-171-1212790028_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212790074_thumb.jpg

Ok, here is one that looked like snarge in some other photos in an earlier post, but now its looking alot better? It looks a bit dusty in the first photos, im not sure why, but I guarantee you its not dusty. One of the things I was able to capture was some of the greens. Seems very difficult to do. and you still cant see just how wonderful this thing is in these dam photos!!! This one is stuck onto a piece of rock that wieghs at least 30 pounds!

RB

post-171-1212790391_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212790438_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212790488_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212790541_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212790590_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212790644_thumb.jpg

Ok again. I think this one is my favorite, but its also one that needs more sanding. I can still see scratches! Dang!!! But some rather nice photos this time. I was able to capture some of the WONDERFUL greens this time!!! And at a different angle all those greens turn into super WONDERFUL reds!!! WooooooHooooooooo!!!!

RB

post-171-1212791271_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212791379_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212791427_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212791473_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212791525_thumb.jpg

Real eye-candy!!! (Sorry about the sanding).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow! Those are really amazing I would love to have one of those one day.

They really have it all, and will never get over the colors, like opals only the coloring on the ammonites is better than on most opals I have seen.... colors of fire and grass, what a great combination!

Welcome to the forum!