two different gen. et sp. indet?

Siyan Zhao

• New Members

I'm finishing my undergraduate thesis, but I need to describe a species that has actually been published as Euselachii(a cohort of chondrichthys) gen. et sp. indet..  I agree this name, So in systematic paleontology whether it  is correct to still use "Euselachii gen. et sp. indet." as its name? In addition, if I Find one species but consider it as other kind of Euselachii but still is gen. et sp. indet, how to name the latter? 

Thanks so much.

Sorry, no idea. Maybe it is better to ask this question on Researchgate.net.  There you can reach hundreds of authors who work scientifically in the field of paleontology and who have to deal with tricky questions of nomenclature.

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Look at the ICZN code:

https://www.iczn.org

I have seen workers number undescribed species: Composita sp. 1.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I believe it is appropriate to call them gen. et sp. indeterminate. 1 (or A), gen. et sp. Indeterminate 2 (or B), and so on.  You are not formally naming these taxa, you are just labeling them so you can write about them without confusion about which one you are referring to.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

Is it indet because it has not been described or is it indet because it can't be identified to taxon? If it is diagnosable but not described, then perhaps you have a responsibility to diagnose and describe it. If it is not diagnosable, then attribute it to the lowest taxonomic unit possible (e.g. family level or whatever).