Not An American Lion?

Angus Stydens

establishing once again that whoever gets to define their own terms wins, at least temporarily. some of the scientists in the world need to get with wall street and invent some "derivatives" of classifications that they can buy and sell for credentials.

trade you this hybrid carcharodon subspecie for a phd...or maybe a grant...

Maybe North America's Lion/Jaguar? was neither lion, jaguar, nor tiger. Maybe it was just a species of cat the likes of which no longer exactly exist.

It kind of makes sense that it was a different species--all the literature I've come across states that it was 25% larger than the African lion on average.

A genetics test would give us a better answer probably than an anatomical comparison. If they can find viable DNA from Neanderthals (as in the recent study), than they should be able to find Panthera atrox usable DNA.

I'm going to have to try and track the original paper down and study what they're claiming.

• 2 months later...

A Lions and Jaguar accidentally procreated at the Bear Creek Wildlife Sanctuary.

Check out the photos at www.bearcreeksanctuary.com/jaglions.htm

A Lions and Jaguar accidentally procreated at the Bear Creek Wildlife Sanctuary.

Check out the photos at www.bearcreeksanctuary.com/jaglions.htm

Accidentally? I suspect thehy knew what they were doing.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

It was considered an accident because the owners tried to keep them apart when the female was in estrus.

Actually, when animals mate, I doubt they understand what the results will be.

Actually, when animals mate, I doubt they understand what the results will be.

Interesting thought, one I have wondered about. We know where children come from, why wouldn't some of the higher level animals?

ashcraft, brent allen

Anthropologists believe that early humans didn't know where babies came from--thought it was some kind of magic.

Then women figured it out and held it a secret for as long as they could. That's why they were worshipped with those famous fertility idols.