Angel shark tooth, and mammoth?

easterncarolinahunta

So I’m back down at Holden beach doing some fossil hunting. I came back yesterday with some cool little finds. 

So I have identified this tooth as an angel shark tooth. I just wanted to know if finding one was rare, and is it in good condition? (Found off the North Carolina coast.)

222F5A19-5578-44CF-9F32-0C5DAB4D5875.jpeg

AD0457DC-FD9A-48E2-B4B1-AC9B358D528C.jpeg

29EB1363-37CB-47A9-90D1-225F1D6A876A.jpeg

AEAA957B-0308-4FB9-8756-2F12EDA6AED2.jpeg

97F81D70-27A5-48DD-9201-01041D8B95F7.jpeg

2 minutes ago, easterncarolinahunta said:

So I have identified this tooth as an angel shark tooth. I just wanted to know if finding one was rare, and is it in good condition? (Found off the North Carolina coast.)

Yes, it’s an angel shark (Squatina) tooth, most likely from the Peedee Fm. Not too rare but less common than Squalicorax and Serratolamna teeth. It is in fairly good condition considering it was pumped onto the beach through a slurry pipe.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Yes, it’s an angel shark (Squatina) tooth, most likely from the Peedee Fm. Not too rare but less common than Squalicorax and Serratolamna teeth. It is in fairly good condition considering it was pumped onto the beach through a slurry pipe.

Thanks, it’s my first one! Def more rare than the crow and Serra! Especially at holden. Guess they are more rare because they are so hard to see.

21 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Also I would like an ID in these two pieces that I’m not to sure of.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This one looks like a neural bone from a turtle carapace. Need more photos of the second piece.

5BDCD1F0-0E5C-44AA-95FA-76E3322080A5.jpeg