AugustPaleo

• New Members

I’ve been fossil hunting for years, but had a long pause in my interest. Recently however, I’ve gotten back into paleontology. I was researching the Miami Limestone and found that many fossils had been found inland in limestone quarries, but I hadn’t found any information on Miami Beach fossils. While I was walking in the water, I stepped on what turned out to be a shell of what I believe is Cittarium pica, a kind of mollusk found in other locales in the area. Pleistocene in age, very recent, and recrystalized. I’m so happy to find a fossil this trip!

8F0347AD-AD9E-4C5E-BDEA-F38F8669A35F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

Extremely rare where you found it. 

From Wikipedia:

This species occurs rarely in the Florida Keys, and in the Caribbean coast of Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia and Venezuela. It also occurs in the Bahamas, Cuba, the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and the Lesser Antilles as far south as Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago. The species has been reintroduced to Bermuda.[2]

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• New Members

According to this source that allowed me to ID the fossil, Cittarium pica used to be much more common in the Pleistocene but became extirpated from the area. 

“It is possible that with a lack of extensive coral rock near their preferred zones the Cittarium pica could no longer thrive in the South Florida environment and over the past 130,000 years has become locally extinct.” From D’Antonio (2012).

• I found this Informative 1