Calymene blumenbachii “Dudley Bug / Locust” from Wenlock Limestone, Wren’s Nest, Dudley, U.K.

GTS

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 8:40 AM, Wrangellian said:

Do you know the full history of how the thing was treated/prepped in the past?

No history of treatment / prep available. Just that it's from an old collection.

Yours has the look of a fossil prepped by air abrasive, or by other means plus a coating of something.

In hand, there's no evidence of any additional "coating of something" sitting on the surface of my fossil (other than a patina from years of being handled and being on display) - compare the shine of patina of mine with the photo from the Stammers book, so I respectfully disagree. 

Edited by GTS

I know that picture of the other Victorian specimen is said to be covered by patina, but it looks like it also has matrix in the recesses (hard to tell)

It does - as does mine - my fossil also has a little remnant matrix in the cheek folds area (where the free cheek joined the cephalon) - so I doubt that my fossil has undergone any air abrasion. The general appearance (shny patina and colouration) is practically identical to the Stammers book photo.

On 4/21/2023 at 7:13 PM, Bobby Rico said:

I like old labels that is all . Cheers Bobby 

@Bobby Rico I’ve tried to create a vintage looking label using parchment coloured paper and copperplate script.

IMG_5002.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

56 minutes ago, GTS said:

I’ve tried to create a vintage looking label using parchment coloured paper and copperplate script.

Nice job :dinothumb: I love old museum displays when they have the original  labels . To me when a old collection in a museum get a makeover for me it losses it’s charm but the kids like it more with touch screen tech. I love to have a Dudley bug in my collection but they are pricey if you can get hold of one. You did really well with yours it is stunning. Cheers Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 1