Venice Diving Trip 4/16

Parker Brown

Hey guys! I had a phenomenal day diving for teeth last weekend in Venice. I found around 1,500 teeth and some other awesome stuff.

Here is a pile of broken/not "high" quality small teeth that i found 

IMG_2326D.thumb.jpg.6234969a7b63d3966f6e63fa416aa72d.jpg

Here is the pile of teeth that are full and/or super high quality. 

IMG_2327D.thumb.jpg.949eda3cb6d458b1c0258b551f4cc428.jpg

Here are the tigers that I found. I don't usually find a lot of tiger shark teeth so it was nice finding this many and of this size!

IMG_2328D.thumb.jpg.b09ef9584be1c62bddb8295e559aa437.jpg 

Here are all of the Makos that I found. The one in the middle is my biggest Mako at 2.3" and I also found some super pretty smaller ones!

IMG_2329D.thumb.jpg.3ea99e284d9b9a6c957611e557b462ce.jpg

Here are all of the Megs that I found. I found my biggest Meg at 4.75" and I couldn't be happier!!! The smaller Megs have a lot of super nice colors and I am super happy that I found them.

IMG_2330D.thumb.jpg.c38c39badc294a70bf151dfadcfa9423.jpg

And the find of the day would be my FIRST GREAT WHITE!! I have been looking for my first GW for over a year now and I finally found it. I think you would have been able to hear me on the surface because of how much I was freaking out when I found it.

IMG_2338D.thumb.jpg.79050c45f65a89993235c29dd9b7281c.jpg

What I do not have pictured is I found my largest alligator tooth measuring in just under 1" and I also found my first Gar scale (I think thats what it is). I found four pathological teeth. Two of them were bull shark teeth that had double tips. The double tips were very small and I couldn't get a good picture of them. One was a bull shark tooth that had waves in the blade. The last one was a lemon shark that has a twisted blade. 

If their are any specific teeth you want better pictures of or you have any questions just let me know!

This was definitely a trip for the books and I cant wait to get out there again.

• Enjoyed 14

Awesome finds Parker! I'd love to see the pathos and the other side of that GW!

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

13 hours ago, Parker Brown said:

And the find of the day would be my FIRST GREAT WHITE!!

I have 2 GW teeth from Florida and one was found shore diving in shallow water off one of the Venice beaches. I remember their being a higher percentage of Sand Tiger (Carcharias taurus) teeth in the mix while diving as opposed to sifting in the Peace River.

That's an impressive haul overall. How many dives does this represent?

Cheers.

-Ken

On 4/22/2023 at 9:38 AM, digit said:

I remember their being a higher percentage of Sand Tiger (Carcharias taurus) teeth in the mix while diving as opposed to sifting in the Peace River.

I totally agree with this. I have been to the river quite a few times now and only found a few Sand Tiger teeth. When I am diving in Venice I can find up to 20-30 fully intact teeth in a single dive. From what I have seen you find a lot more Sand Tiger teeth close to the beach also. Some of the farther out spots don.t have as many Sand Tiger teeth.

On 4/22/2023 at 9:38 AM, digit said:

That's an impressive haul overall. How many dives does this represent?

This haul is mainly three dives from a boat. I did do a shore dive also at the end of the day because I had some extra time and an extra tank. This was my first time doing a shore dive from this specific drop in and I did it as more of a scouting dive so it really didn't add a bunch to this pile. I think I got around 50 teeth on the shore dive.

On 4/21/2023 at 8:55 PM, Meganeura said:

Awesome finds Parker! I'd love to see the pathos and the other side of that GW!

Sorry for taking so long to get back with these photos!

There is one Bull Shark and a Lemon Shark that has the wave in the blade. The Bull has a much more defined wave than the Lemon but you can definitely feel it on the Lemon. 

There are two Bulls that have double tips. It is very hard to get a picture of them because they are super subtle but they are their if you look hard. They are so subtile that at first I thought it was just a chipped blade.

Last but not least is the back of the GW you requested!

IMG_2336.JPG

IMG_2421.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Very nice!  I have to get better at finding the smaller teeth so I can find more tigers and hemis.  Headed there in September for second trip to Venice.

Hope for good weather. September is smack-dab in the middle of hurricane season and summer storms often churn up the Gulf waters making visibility off Venice limited to arm's length. :oO:

That time of year does have the advantage of having comfortably warm water requiring less exposure protection in the form of neoprene. :)

If you find any nice treasures in September, don't forget to post them here so we can all drool.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 2