Permian Update

dinodigger

Hi gang, just wanted to post a quick update. We left Houston a few days ago. Dug for two days on site. Highlights? Truck slid into a ravine, that was exciting. Had to get a tractor to lift us out... yikes. Found a GIGANTIC humerus. Probably the largest we've seen in five years. Not convinced its Dimetrodon yet... just to big. This guy could bench a big dimtrodon. Ok. Calculating... if its a dimetrodon, its an 800 pounder easy. Other possibility? Diadectes. He's got big shoulders. Whatever it is, its going to be from somebody big. Lots of large bones underneath, so we'll I'D him in a few weeks. Next day we finally loaded the 6000 pound block of amphibian skeletons, there will be hundreds of them in the block when we get it prepped, and we're currently trucking it South Dakota for prep and further research. The next month is going to be amazing. Can't wait to see whats hiding in the block underneath it all. In Kansas tonight. Hitting the chalk beds tomorrow for a few hours, hitting the oligocene then next day. Would like to hit some hell Creek at the end of the week.

More later. Try to post some Humerus and truck in ditch photos... just don't laugh. At the truck thing. The humerus will make you snarge your drawers... maybe not. My boss did. Anyhoo. (Whistling...) I think Family Guy is on. I need a beer.

Chris

Take me with you! Instead of running away with the circus, I think I'll ditch my desk job and run off with you dudes.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Ha! I hear that, Dan. One of these days, I'm going to hide in his vehicle. What's the worse that could happen? I guess they could make me clean up the shark poop. :P

.... One of these days, I'm going to hide in his vehicle. What's the worse that could happen? I guess they could make me clean up the shark poop. :P

Uhh Mike, see above..."Truck slid into a ravine"...Just follow him with sunglasses on.

B):D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Uhh Mike, see above..."Truck slid into a ravine"...Just follow him with sunglasses on.

B):D

Wouldn't be the first time, ask Oh-man. :blush: Well, not exactly a ravine, but the uncontrollable sliding into a ditch full of mud was interesting..... as was the long walk to find a cell phone signal, seeing every cable and chain on the tow truck hooked together just barely reach, and then watching the tow truck start to slide....

"...finally loaded the 6000 pound block of amphibian skeletons..."

I am certain that that phrase has never before graced my retinas, and possibly no one else's either. I mean, really!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Chris,

Can't wait to see those pics!

Promise I 'll try not to laugh at the truck pics.

Good luck with your trip, and side stops as well!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me