"Illaenus americans" Name Changes

Isotelus2883

I have a specimen from the Bromide formation of a trilobite cranidium that was labeled as Illaenus americans. Is there a new name for this trilobite? I cannot find any information.

Thanks for your help all

The Latin declension is wrong. Illaenus is masculine, then the adjective must be americanus (if I remember correctly - it's been 50 years since I had to learn Latin).

Illaenus americanus (Billings, 1859) 

“Thaleops laurentiana sp. nov. is erected for specimens previously referred to I. americanus Billings, 1859. Type material is from the Upper Ordovician, middle to upper Trenton Group near Trenton Falls, New York State where complete trilobites are preserved in fine-grained carbonate representing distal storm event deposits. Other figured specimens are from the upper Black River Group near Poland, NY and the lower Trenton Group near Watertown, NY.”

A systematic revision of Thaleops Trilobita Illaenidae with new species from the Middle and Late Ordovician of Oklahoma and New York.pdf

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).