Recent Trip to the Bone Valley Fossil Farm, in Bowling Green, Florida:

Rock Hound

After much consideration; I decided to allow someone else, to introduce me to their local fossil rich area. 

At the Bone Valley Fossil Farm; the owners have used heavy equipment to remove the upper 12 feet of sandy topsoil.  Doing so, exposes Megalodon era fossil layers.  The fossil layer is then dug out with heavy equipment, and is piled up at wet screening wash stations on the owner's property.  This is a paid access fossil site, and all necessary wet screening equipment is furnished for you.

I found a good variety of fossils; during 6 1/2 hours of frantic, almost non-stop fossil hunting.  You can go at your own pace.  You can do it your way.  If you finish your pile, before the 6 1/2 hour timeframe is up; the owners will quickly replenish your pile, with more fossil rich soil.  They are very friendly, and they cater to you well.

I had a great experience, and I believe it was well worth the access fee I paid.  They are good people.  Now, some fossils!!!

IMG_2761.jpg

20230509_035639_(1)_(2).jpg

20230509_045750_(1)_(2).jpg

Edited by Rock Hound
  • Enjoyed 6

Nice group of specimens.  Just curious if you can take home what you screened and washed.  It is vey easy to miss specimens in a screen.  Also, can you take home what fell through the screen which may contain micro specimens?

Marco Sr.

• Enjoyed 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

7 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

Nice group of specimens.  Just curious if you can take home what you screened and washed.  It is vey easy to miss specimens in a screen.  Also, can you take home what fell through the screen which may contain micro specimens?

Marco Sr.

I don't really know?  I didn't notice anyone doing so.  You should probably check with the owners, to find out.  I just added a closeup pic; of the Meg tooth I found, and a whale ear bone.

I’ve been to the site twice and I’m not sure either if you can take any home, but I would say that is gets pretty muddy with the clay in the mixture of material.

I’m hoping to go back in the few weeks, I’ll inquire and let you know their response.

Rick

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, Family Fun said:

I’ve been to the site twice and I’m not sure either if you can take any home, but I would say that is gets pretty muddy with the clay in the mixture of material.

I’m hoping to go back in the few weeks, I’ll inquire and let you know their response.

Rick

Unfortunately; the Fossil Farm is a 10 1/2 hour drive, one way for me.  But it was a lot of fun!!!  You are instantly inserted, into an active fossil dig site.  They put you on the spot, for a fee.

Oh, wow, that was a long drive!  Glad you enjoyed it!

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

6 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Marco Sr.

You can indeed! @Done Drillin and @Nimravis have both done so. I need to myself as well… I know there’s lots of goodies.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

2 hours ago, Meganeura said:

You can indeed! @Done Drillin and @Nimravis have both done so. I need to myself as well… I know there’s lots of goodies.

That's cool.  The guys at The Bone Valley Fossil Farm, sincerely want you to have a good time, and find lots of fossils.  They were very friendly and helpful.  They were checking in with me every 30 minutes to an hour, to see how i was doing.  They were making helpful suggestions, but also telling me that my way was the best way.  They were like instant friends, to me.

Some people there found more, or larger shark teeth, than I did; but i found a nice variety of fossils, and I came away happy.  It was just fine, the way it turned out.  Straight into the fossils.

Edited by Rock Hound

My first trip was with Daniel, and lucky me found a nice 3.4 inch meg.   And you are right, the staff was very accommodating.

• Enjoyed 1

10 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Marco Sr.

As @Meganeura said, you can take home your screened matrix. I visited this site one time, and though I was looking for big stuff, I was really interested in the micros. I brought graduated sifters and a 5 gallon bucket. I would shovel in material and rinse it down with the hose. I then went through the different sifters picking out the fossils and I would take the last sifter and dump it into two large trays so the matrix could dry in the sun. At the end of the day I put the matrix into a large container and went through it over the Winter. There were plenty of nice teeth to be found, but not as many as I would find in the yearly box full of micro matrix from Shark Tooth Hill, that Doren @caldigger would send me, that stuff was unbelievable.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

2 hours ago, Rock Hound said:

That's cool.  The guys at The Bone Valley Fossil Farm, sincerely want you to have a good time, and find lots of fossils.  They were very friendly and helpful.  They were checking in with me every 30 minutes to an hour, to see how i was doing.  They were making helpful suggestions, but also telling me that my way was the best way.  They were like instant friends, to me.

Oh yeah, Desmond and Chris are awesome! I need to go back soon - I miss it!

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

I found 7 different types of shark teeth:

Megalodon

Snaggletooth

Tiger

False Tiger / Contortus

Sand Tiger

Bull Shark

Lemon Shark

20230511_115615_(1)_(1)_(1).jpg

Edited by Rock Hound

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Dblackston said:

Do you find anything other than shark teeth?

Oh yes.  I found 2 Pygmy Sperm Whale Teeth, 1 Whale Ear Bone plus a little piece of a 2nd one, lots of Dugong Rib Bone, a Porpoise Tooth, a Barracuda Tooth, various pieces of Bone, a few pieces of Turtle Shell, Ray Teeth, 2 little pieces of Gompothere Tooth Enamel, (plus a double handful of Shark Teeth), etc.

Edited by Rock Hound
  • Enjoyed 2