Wrangellian

The lady from our local rockhound club that gave me the Arthrophycus piece recently...

has given me the rest of her fossils. She is getting on in years and has decided to start passing stuff on, and anyway she is more of a lapidary person I think.

This is partly a showoff post and partly a request for more information for the ones that I am lacking detailed info on. She was not able to give me the full info on every piece. I was able to fill in some gaps myself but not all. I don't know if I should post the pertinent ones in the ID section. but if anyone can fill in where details are lacking I'd appreciate it.

Most of them come from Canada and the US, but also England, and one from Australia, and they span from Ordovician to Recent.

I'll post closer pics of individual pieces below, but here are some overall shots - the collection fits into 3 flats:

Paleozoic and Cenozoic:

Fossils-tray1.jpg

Fossils-tray2.jpg

Fossils-tray3.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 7

I will provide the info that came with them plus whatever I am confident enough to add.

In no particular order...

3 from B.C. -

Coal with amber from Blakeburn, near Princeton, B.C.,

Carbonized stick from the same place,

Metasequoia(?) from "near Princeton". (All Eocene, I think)

3 from BC.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Partial bone from 'Badlands, South Dakota"... I don't know if that means Badlands National Park, or not necessarily...

Cenozoic I guess. Any ideas on possible ID and what formation/age?

Bone1.jpg

Bone2.jpg

Bone3.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Carboniferous, Betterhanger Colliery, Kent, England:

Lepido1.thumb.jpg.4d14fbc36882cc3ea552a84148ce1ad6.jpgLepido2.thumb.jpg.1eac8bc731b0b841d8245ef575807333.jpg

Colliery2.thumb.jpg.816147eccd1610f33838ff4ece652e18.jpgColliery2b.thumb.jpg.1d1787125ee26420016907e4d83b63d4.jpgColliery.thumb.jpg.e0bc0f39eb2150ef0e316378c10b7273.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Ginkgo, etc, "near Elmont, North Dakota". These look like things I see for sale at the usual venue and I gather they are Paleocene. ElmontND.thumb.jpg.4cc985a58a620b71d38894855ce78c4d.jpg

This had no label but I assume it is from the Green River Fm, Wyoming?

Fish.thumb.jpg.c7f56a422e90e157d4fc5c76a54f1918.jpg

The belemnites here were not labelled but I gather they come from Folkstone, Kent, England, where the ammonite is from. (Albian, Gault Fm?)

Are the belemnites Neohibolites sp?

The shark teeth are in the same shot only to save effort. They are supposed to be from Florida, or maybe Georgia. Any way to tell for sure?

Folkstone1.thumb.jpg.ea96ed2420acd3a57fb17e4074c4864b.jpgFolkstone2.thumb.jpg.abd6cfe8b7ad7222f026805320c05aee.jpg

Echinoid in flint from Hampshire, England (no specific location or stratig):

Hampshire1.thumb.jpg.fc398aabf0f1617319345812df2bfd90.jpgHampshire2.thumb.jpg.d1b0742ce4469d728f8f235bf72e439c.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Pet. Ginkgo wood from Ginkgo Petrified Forest, Washington state...

This one is begging to have one or both cut ends polished. I intend to do that as soon as I can manage.

Ginkgo-enh.thumb.jpg.afcc4c41313225264109f7f86d5581bc.jpg

Apparently this is Juntura, Oregon. It says Pliocene but most of the references I can find for that location say Miocene:

JunturaOR-enh.thumb.jpg.815005a2608910eb08d26ca1c7ab1347.jpg1306577037_JunturaOR2-enh.thumb.jpg.2edf0d1b0fb10781bc26177b5beef191.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian
  • Enjoyed 3

Another one from Florida... I can't make out everything on the label, just 'Manatee bone' and 'Florida'. (Something Mine?) 

I'll bring that one back to her and see if she can enlighten me. No idea of formation or precise location.

And a couple more shots of those shark teeth...

Manatee1.jpg

Manatee2.jpg

Shark2.jpg

Shark3.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

2 coral pieces from London, Ontario, and an inchnofossil and hashplate from Peterborough, Ontario. No idea about more specific info...

LondonON1-enh.thumb.jpg.e06b9632a82207f871de01593587c0bc.jpgLondonON2-enh.thumb.jpg.f58cc52a43111af842325ccf2abaca9f.jpg

Peterborough ichno and London rugose coral (if I don't have the labels mixed up):

Ontario.thumb.jpg.1b6704ef57fd1eb7c1e1635279a675ac.jpg

3 shots of the Peterborough hash plate... Lots of bryos and some brachs in this one:

Peterb1.thumb.JPG.415285701064859265ddaa713663edcc.JPGPeterb2.thumb.JPG.cbbc5ed616ac5a953c6fb907ab0daa24.JPGPeterb3.thumb.JPG.4326b091b9376750fa55d74d1accf55a.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

Now I wish these nice scaphites had a label... The baculite segment is labelled "gravel pit, Wasta, South Dakota". She couldn't remember if the scaphites came from the same place but could have been. Anyone know their Western Interior Seaway fossils well enough to pinpoint or at least narrow that down for me?

(The traingular bits are just to prop up the broken ammo for a profile view)

Wasta1.jpg

Wasta2.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

RE: the Shark Teeth

As far as coloration goes, South Carolina is believable.  Although, those colors aren't limited to South Carolina.  As a default, you could label them as being from the Southeastern U.S.?

Nice collection Eric love U.K. stuff and of course the scale tree pieces are great. That lady deserves a bunch of flowers. 

• I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Carboniferous, Betterhanger Colliery, Kent, England:

You can still find fossils there in the spoil. Nice and easy Upper Carboniferous site to visit.

Nice selection, but there's quite a lot there to react to, maybe a bit too much at once? I'd suggest you post your big question marks with specific questions individually in the ID section.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The large shark tooth - Carcharodon hastalis (common name - Lesser White shark), lower jaw anterior. Often and erroneously called a Mako.

Very difficult to guess a find location - very likely south eastern USA but precisely where, I couldn't say.

The smaller tooth looks like a Carcharias sp. (Sand Tiger shark). A genus that is very commonly found in Morocco but the colour does not suggest it's of Moroccan origin. Possibly south eastern USA again. 

5 hours ago, Rock Hound said:

RE: the Shark Teeth

As far as coloration goes, South Carolina is believable.  Although, those colors aren't limited to South Carolina.  As a default, you could label them as being from the Southeastern U.S.?

Thanks... That will be the last resort if I can't narrow it down any further.

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Nice collection Eric love U.K. stuff and of course the scale tree pieces are great. That lady deserves a bunch of flowers. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

You can still find fossils there in the spoil. Nice and easy Upper Carboniferous site to visit.

Thanks Bobby. You might be right, she deserves something like that....

I don't think I've ever heard of or seen material from that site before.

• Thank You 1

50 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice selection, but there's quite a lot there to react to, maybe a bit too much at once? I'd suggest you post your big question marks with specific questions individually in the ID section.

Thanks Roger.. I will do that if the info doesn't come to me here.

30 minutes ago, Gareth_ said:

The large shark tooth - Carcharodon hastalis (common name - Lesser White shark), lower jaw anterior. Often and erroneously called a Mako.

Very difficult to guess a find location - very likely south eastern USA but precisely where, I couldn't say.

The smaller tooth looks like a Carcharias sp. (Sand Tiger shark). A genus that is very commonly found in Morocco but the colour does not suggest it's of Moroccan origin. Possibly south eastern USA again. 

Thanks.. I think there is no doubt they come from the Southeastern states and most likely both from the same spot. Florida seemed to her like the most likely state.

Forgot these ones. My pics are not good but here they are anyway...

I assume the Pseudogygites trilobutt is from the beach at Collingwood, Ont, given the water-worn appearance, and the Mucrospirifer brach is Devonian from Arkona...?

The smaller trilo is slathered in some kind of glue and may be a writeoff. Looks kind of like a Ceraurus but is hard to tell and is probably missing a lot under there.

Between the three of them, there is one remaining label saying "Lower/Mid Ordovician, London, Ontario". Would that apply to the glued trilobite?

Ontario3.thumb.jpg.168f0869d74a3b992d4a4f653242e021.jpg

A closer look at the smaller trilo, and the underside, if it helps:

Trilobite1.thumb.jpg.a6dea45bffef7ff22cf4e4142fc24dda.jpgTrilobite2.thumb.jpg.39cee53cc9bff6ad09fe4046ade5e0aa.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

12 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Partial bone from 'Badlands, South Dakota"... I don't know if that means Badlands National Park, or not necessarily...

Cenozoic I guess. Any ideas on possible ID and what formation/age?

Most likely the White River Formation or Group, lots of badlands in that area with those exposures

https://whiteriver.weebly.com/#:~:text=Fossil Mammal Groups found in the White River Badlands&text=Groups covered include Oreodonts%2C Equids,Entelodonts%2C Hypertragulids%2C and Tortoises.

@Wrangellian

If you can get hold of a copy of this book, it is worth while. 
Good info and for identifying Carboniferous / coal measures plants 

IMG_4747.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Really nice pickup, Eric,

Some really decent specimens in there. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png