Wrangellian

11 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks.. I thought it would be from that formation/gp but thought I would wait for the expert opinions first. Lots to research!

3 hours ago, Yoda said:

@Wrangellian

If you can get hold of a copy of this book, it is worth while. 
Good info and for identifying Carboniferous / coal measures plants

Thanks, I'm sure it would be, if I come across an affordable copy, but I might have to be content with the basic IDs that I can get from the general literature (or tips from you all). At least I've got the location for these - that's most of the battle!

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Really nice pickup, Eric,

Some really decent specimens in there. :)

Thanks Adam, I thought so too. It looks like a typical collection that someone from North America might be able to put together (with the few extras from UK/Australia) - the only thing it was missing is an Elrathia kingii. ^_^  But maybe it's not so typical in its details. There is very little that I didn't already have.

15 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Forgot these ones. My pics are not good but here they are anyway...

I assume the Pseudogygites trilobutt is from the beach at Collingwood, Ont, given the water-worn appearance, and the Mucrospirifer brach is Devonian from Arkona...?

The smaller trilo is slathered in some kind of glue and may be a writeoff. Looks kind of like a Ceraurus but is hard to tell and is probably missing a lot under there.

Between the three of them, there is one remaining label saying "Lower/Mid Ordovician, London, Ontario". Would that apply to the glued trilobite?

Ontario3.thumb.jpg.168f0869d74a3b992d4a4f653242e021.jpg

A closer look at the smaller trilo, and the underside, if it helps:

Trilobite1.thumb.jpg.a6dea45bffef7ff22cf4e4142fc24dda.jpgTrilobite2.thumb.jpg.39cee53cc9bff6ad09fe4046ade5e0aa.jpg

Seconding the Ceraurus guess- there‘s quite a bit of diversity in species from around Ontario, but best bet is Ceraurus pleuraxanthemous, globulatus, or plattinensis. 

ID would definitely be easier after prepping some of the matrix off of the thorax and cephalon- you might be happy with the detail still under there! Thanks for showing the collection! 

3 hours ago, NoahW24 said:

Seconding the Ceraurus guess- there‘s quite a bit of diversity in species from around Ontario, but best bet is Ceraurus pleuraxanthemous, globulatus, or plattinensis. 

ID would definitely be easier after prepping some of the matrix off of the thorax and cephalon- you might be happy with the detail still under there! Thanks for showing the collection! 

Thanks for that. It would be nice to have the thing prepped, but I see gaps where the genal spines were, and there's a bryozoan on top of what might be left of the cephalon, so it might look rather sad when uncovered. Anyway I don't have the means to prep it myself, nor do I know anyone who would be willing/able, and I suspect they would tell me it's not worth the effort.

On 5/17/2023 at 8:05 PM, Wrangellian said:

2 coral pieces from London, Ontario, and an inchnofossil and hashplate from Peterborough, Ontario. No idea about more specific info...

LondonON1-enh.thumb.jpg.e06b9632a82207f871de01593587c0bc.jpgLondonON2-enh.thumb.jpg.f58cc52a43111af842325ccf2abaca9f.jpg

Peterborough ichno and London rugose coral (if I don't have the labels mixed up):

Ontario.thumb.jpg.1b6704ef57fd1eb7c1e1635279a675ac.jpg

3 shots of the Peterborough hash plate... Lots of bryos and some brachs in this one:

Peterb1.thumb.JPG.415285701064859265ddaa713663edcc.JPGPeterb2.thumb.JPG.cbbc5ed616ac5a953c6fb907ab0daa24.JPGPeterb3.thumb.JPG.4326b091b9376750fa55d74d1accf55a.JPG

I wont be much of a help, but those corals labelled as coming from London, Ontario look Devonian from south western Ontario. I have a similar looking horn coral specimen from what I assume to be not similar to the Hungry Hollow Heliophyllums. 

21 hours ago, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

I wont be much of a help, but those corals labelled as coming from London, Ontario look Devonian from south western Ontario. I have a similar looking horn coral specimen from what I assume to be not similar to the Hungry Hollow Heliophyllums. 

Do you mean the single rugose one (which had no label stuck to it), or both that and the colonial one with the "London, Ont" label, or...?

And do you mean further southwest than London already is? The labels did not specify an age but I see by the geo map that whole region is Devonian.

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Do you mean the single rugose one (which had no label stuck to it), or both that and the colonial one with the "London, Ont" label, or...?

And do you mean further southwest than London already is? The labels did not specify an age but I see by the geo map that whole region is Devonian.

I meant the rugose coral one not the colonial one labelled "London, Ontario". The region, I believe, in Ontario from Brantford all the way to Windsor is Devonian. 

On 5/22/2023 at 9:19 PM, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

I meant the rugose coral one not the colonial one labelled "London, Ontario". The region, I believe, in Ontario from Brantford all the way to Windsor is Devonian. 

Right, so it could be from London, being in the Devonian zone.. or are you saying it might not be?

Sorry, I was wrong about the smaller one not having a sticker: both of these pieces have 'London Ont' stickers on them (I couldn't see it on the smaller one in the pics, so I had to go and look at it... Turned it over, and sure enough...)