I've been fascinated with Aegirocassis for a while now. The fact that a complex, giant filter feeder occured so many millions of years ago astonishes me. Its just such an alien animal.

I've found little fragments of arthropod molts in the Drakes formation which belong to Isotelus. That got me wondering. What are the chances that instead of these all being from isotelus, that they're instead from another arthropod such as a eurypterid or ordovician radiodont.

Another question I have is, does aegirocassis or a radiodont related to aegirocassis occur in any places other than morocco.

The Drakes formation seems to have experienced a submarine landslide (don't quote me on this) and most to all of the fossils there are of creatures that were overtaken by said landslide. (Not entirely sure if this is true)

But, what if there were such radiodonts like aegirocassis living in the Drakes formation but the only fossils we would find of them is molt fragments like the ones I've found that fell off of the animal and were buried in the sediment, instead of whole body fossils because they were able to escape this landslide.

Though, I suppose the only way to confirm that such a radiodont lived in the Drakes would be to find an actual fossilized corpse of one.

Really I just think this is a fun idea but it definitely would be cool if it is true.

150311-science-seamonster-aegirocassis-benmoulae.jpg

16847830242097622180051262886239.jpg

The genus is currently only known from Morocco, but the family is known from several places. 

But they are only found in lagerstatten, places of unusual and extraordinary preservation of soft parts, as most of these animals are not very hard. 

They probably existed all over the world, but without soft-bodied preservation, we'll never know for sure. 

Your clearly hard bits preseved in the Late Ordovician are not radiodonts. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The genus is currently only known from Morocco, but the family is known from several places. 

But they are only found in lagerstatten, places of unusual and extraordinary preservation of soft parts, as most of these animals are not very hard. 

They probably existed all over the world, but without soft-bodied preservation, we'll never know for sure. 

Your clearly hard bits preseved in the Late Ordovician are not radiodonts. 

Yes, that's what I was expecting, but it's always fun to speculate.

But what are the chances of these being from a eurypterid?

Just now, Fullux said:

Yes, that's what I was expecting, but it's always fun to speculate.

But what are the chances of these being from a eurypterid?

:shrug:

Shouldn't think so.

Are they reported from the Drakes ? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

40 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

:shrug:

Shouldn't think so.

Are they reported from the Drakes ? 

Yes, found one of them earlier today.

2 minutes ago, Fullux said:

Yes, found one of them earlier today.

You found a eurypterid earlier today or found mention of them being reported in the Drakes Formation? 

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

You found a eurypterid earlier today or found mention of them being reported in the Drakes Formation? 

No, I found one of the fragments earlier today. Sorry, should've given more context!