Ohio Help!

FossilForKids

I am in Caimbridge ohio and will be driving to Louisville Ky tomorrow. I would love to stop somewhere near my route and do a bit of collecting. Any suggestions or does anyone want to meet up for an hour or so.

Sorry about the very short notice!

FFK

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

I'm tied up at the office tomorrow but I can offer a suggestion if nothing better comes in. You can find some horn coral and maybe some trilos at the Ceasar Creek spillway off 71 South towards Cincinnati. You have to check in at the visitors center to get a permit at:

4020 N. Clarksville Rd.

Waynesville, OH 45068

(513) 897-1050

I'm sure there's better options with people who live around there and know where to go but it's a start! They won't let you use tools there though :wacko:

Jim

Edited by Louie

While in Eastern Ohio take a look at any road cuts for late Paleozoic plants and marine fossils. I can't tell you exactly where to look but over the years I found stuff just at odd locations behind stores, along roads, etc. But there is also a great deal of barren stratigraphy as well.

The spillway at Caesars Creek is a good suggestion. It will be on your way to Louisville. As mentioned you have to check in at the nature center for a permit (free). It's a great exposure of the Cincinnatian and is known for small enrolled trilobites which you can find by crawling around out in the middle of the spillway floor. Lots of other good stuff. If you like books pic up the small guide book the Cincinnati Museum puts out. They should have it there. All thru Cincinnati are road cuts loaded with fossils, but don't stop off the interstate highways.

How many days will you be in the region? Caesar Creek could keep you busy for a half day. Another awesome site not out of your way would be Route 1 in Indiana. It's also known as Garr Hill or St. Leon. If you are coming down into Cinci on I-71 take the I-275 loop west. Follow it and then take I-74 west into Indiana. Not too far into Indiana exit north onto Indiana Rt 1 at St. Leon. A few miles north the road will descend down thru a huge road cut. It exposes almost the entire Richmond Group of Cincinnatian (Upper Ordovician). At the top of the cut you will find colonial corals and unusual cephalopods. thru the middle layers lots of brachiopods, bryozoans, trilobites, horn coral, crinoids and more. Good hunting for enrolled trilobites can be found near the middle of the cut in the softer shale layers. Look along the tops of the benches.

To get some idea about all of this visit the Dry Dredgers web site and follow the link for past field trip photos. Actually I think they are hitting Caesar Creek this weekend so it's good that you get there first.

FYI to go on to Louisville from St leon just back track to I-275 and then follow it south across the Ohio to I-71. Or head out west thru Indiana and hit the Mississippian Blastoid site at I-64 & IN-37. Do some internet research for details.

Good luck!

Edited by erose

Thanks guys!!

John

Mike, Erose, and Loui....thanks for the directions!

Johnny, sorry we missed each other but I doubt NJ will let me back in :P